Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Small Game, Predator and Trapping
 Sorry to ask... Need detailed instructions on calling a coyote >

Sorry to ask... Need detailed instructions on calling a coyote

Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Sorry to ask... Need detailed instructions on calling a coyote

Old 11-15-2007, 06:46 PM

Default Sorry to ask... Need detailed instructions on calling a coyote

I'm getting the urge to kill a coyote..... With my bow or pistol I have a few around my property which backs up to public land and I've tried calling them but I really think I'm doing something wrong... The calls i'm using are: Primos double (something) it makes the sound of a distress rabbit but if you cover the front of the call it makes a rodent squeak... Also Primos howler call... I don't really even know what distress call I should use rabbit? rodent squeak?

Thanks for whoever can answer this.

Morgan Murphy and Team!
Old 11-15-2007, 07:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Sorry to ask... Need detailed instructions on calling a coyote

the regular 'ol rabbit distress calls and kills more predators every year than all the others combined. With that said, there are a lotof distress sounds that will work too. Make sure you can get in to your stands without being detected, and make sure you can see and kill the coyotes before they get down wind and smell you, and allow them to cross your tracks.
If you're not sure of whata distressed rabbit sounds like, might be a wise investment to buy one of the many coyote calling videos on the market and watch, listen, and learn how it's done, and go from there.
Old 11-21-2007, 11:54 AM

Yea what he said....try a byron south video they are great!!!!!
Old 11-21-2007, 11:56 AM

I forgot his website is coming to the call .com
Old 11-21-2007, 12:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Most of the distress sounds similar to a 2 weekinfant crying.
Old 11-21-2007, 09:24 PM
Spike

always get into your area as quietly as possible. set up with the wind in your favor. make sure you have rocks, brush, trees. grass or something to break up your outline. get as comfortable as possible so you can keep movement to an absolute minimum. an ideal setup would have the wind in your favor, the sun at your back, something to sit in or in front of to break up your outline, and a good field of view in front of you. i use mostly rabbit in distress mouth calls, call for a short amount of time, say thirty to sixty seconds, then wait for a few minutes. twenty minutes is enough time for a coyote to come in, if you haven't seen one in that time, try somewhere else. your first calls should not be full volume, so as not to spook any coyotes that are close. if you are using a pistol or bow a decoy of some kind might be helpful to keep his attention off of you. have not had much experience with decoys but i definately plan on using them more in the future. good luck