Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

07 Predator contest submission pics.

Old 11-20-2007, 07:46 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: 07 Predator contest submission pics.

What problem with calling and your gun are you exactly having?? What I do is when I find the spot I want to call from, I sit down and extend my bi-pod legs out. Then I shoulder my rifle and look through the scope to make sure that the legs are at the right height for the terrain that I am on. Adjust if needed. Then I lean my rifle back on the ground so that it will right where I need it when I sit up. I'll lay back now on my backpack (still on my shoulders) that is filled with a towel, shirt, or whatever I can find to help prop me up off of the ground enough so that I can see over the vegatation. Now it is time to start calling.

If you use a mouth call, having a string attached to it around your neck is very helpful. If you are using an electric caller, there shouldn't be any problems at all. Either way, start off quiter than normal. Work your way up to a louder call if you don't get anything in the first few minutes. Once you see a yote, stop. Make short burst of noise if they are far out to get them moving and stop when they do. Once they are within a 150 yards, you should just be able to coax them in with lip noises.

If you are getting the yotes within 150 yards, that is close enough to shoot and hit. If you are not comfortable shooting that far while sitting and using a bi-pod, practice some first. When you do plan to take the shot, try to sit up when the coyote is moving and either has it's head down or is looking away. Then when you get the yote in your scope, bark at it to make it stop. Your heart will more than likely be pounding a hole in your chest right now, so take your time, yet be quick about the shot. If you miss, bark some more and see if it will stop one more time.
Old 11-21-2007, 03:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

The issues im having is where ive been hunting its real thick manzanita and cat claw where several game trails funnel in you can see with optics to about 200 yards down one of the paths but its too thick for a clean shot with a rifle so ive been out there with a shotgun and T steel and a T & F Xtra full choke. id like to get them in to atleast 40 yards. Im using an electric call buts it homemade and runs off a cd player so I have no control over it and if a yote comes in too early in the track Im having issues coaxing them in with a mouth call. I figure If I had someone with me to take turns on the calling I could do away with the electric call and maybe make this stand work. Ive tried other stands with open prairie shots with a rifle but theres just too much activity to compete with ie quail hunters the yotes are holding tight to cover.
Old 11-23-2007, 05:55 PM
Fork Horn

I'm looking at northern Arizona on the first week of January HighDesert... nothing confirmed, but I'll drop you a line if we end up out that way. I'd like to get over into NM so we can night hunt... but I've got a new daytime rig that I'm anxious about so I'll be happy just to get into a target rich environment again!
Old 11-25-2007, 08:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Jrbhunter

I'm looking at northern Arizona on the first week of January HighDesert... nothing confirmed, but I'll drop you a line if we end up out that way. I'd like to get over into NM so we can night hunt... but I've got a new daytime rig that I'm anxious about so I'll be happy just to get into a target rich environment again!
hey great! man deffinately let me know.
Old 11-26-2007, 05:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well, got back last night from KS. and what a great Thanksgiving filled with family visiting to quail hunting to predator calling. Even took time to put some hard wood on the truck for the fire place. The weather co-operated nicely for all of the above. Got to go calling with several different friends and family members and between us all, we shot 10 coyotes, and of those 10 shot, I shot 5. My nephew set his new personal record of "close shot and kill of 5 steps. That was awesome. I killed a sweet double and the rest were singles. We got some real good footage. SO, without further a do, I'll share some photos. This first one was a single, last stand of the day. You can't see it in the pic., but this coyote had mange. One 3" bare spot and his gaurd hards were half gone.

Old 11-26-2007, 05:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

This next pic. is the results of a day and a half of calling. My brother shot 2 of them, I shot the other 4.

Old 11-26-2007, 07:03 PM
Typical Buck

Way to go Howler.

This last week/weekend was a bust for me. Snow and a full moon seemed to make it a lot easier for them to eat so they didn't pay any attention to my calls at all.

Can't wait to see the footage.
Old 11-26-2007, 07:03 PM

i gotta give it to ya howler, you take awesome pics with an amazing gunthanks for the help, ive narrowed down my choices, now its all about working up the funds for one. i just cant decide between a .204 and .223... decisions, decisions lol

do you only mouth call or do you ever use an ecaller?
Old 11-26-2007, 09:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, I gotta say that I haven't been a bit disappointed with the .204 cal. on coyotes, with an even dozen taken this winter so far with mine. I had shot the first 7 with loads topped with 40 gr. berger match hollow points and this weekend I used loads topped with the 35 gr. berger match hollow points and I had zero exitsincluding 3 bang flops, the other two only made it about 50-75 yards before piling up.

I'm not sold on the moon effecting calling results, yet. My buddy went out calling most of the day Thursday with his dad and cousin and called 7 coyotes and a bobcat. Then we called all day on Friday and called in 7 again. Hunted Sat. morning and only called a single by 11 a.m. before throwing in the towel, and then called 4 in by noon Sunday morning out of7 stands. We thought that Sat. morning was going to be real good because we had fresh snow and a departing storm, but it was the worst of the 4 days.

Mouth calls only. We prefer open reeds.

My pics. usually have some good, some bad, and some ugly...the gun being the good, the dead coyotes being the bad, and yours truely rounding out the 3![8D]
Old 11-26-2007, 11:01 PM
Fork Horn

I think your part coyote yourself howler by how many you rack up you seem to think one since you always come on with pictures. What do you do with the yotes you take? Do you just toss them or skin them clean the hide?

Quick Reply: 07 Predator contest submission pics.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.