Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Do coyotes really kill calves?

Old 03-04-2017, 04:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Right behind my house was a small reservoir/fire pond on county land. They kept Sheep in there to keep the grass and weeds down. Fall is the dry part of the year, rodent levels are at their lowest. The Yotes would gather in a pack in the Fall and eat anything they could kill. They killed a bunch of Sheep over the years. Also a variety of small Dogs and Cats in my neighborhood.

If they can kill a grown Sheep, a Calf doesn't stand much chance.

As far as them only being scavengers, my impression is they are more like land Sharks than Vultures and will eat anything they can kill.
Old 03-04-2017, 05:38 PM
Dominant Buck

Once when I was snow shoeing in a remote area in deep snow I saw a doe with 2 coyotes chasing it. The coyotes were easily able to catch the deer in the deep snow and one very quickly hamstrung the deer with one snap of the jaws and then the other piled on. Unfortunately there wasn't anything I could do since I wasn't armed. They were very efficient and it ended quickly.
Old 04-03-2017, 06:02 AM
Fork Horn

Wow. I'm sad I missed the chance to jump in on this one when it was fresh. Talk about someone who's never been around cattle, like....ever.

My cows do a pretty good job of keeping coyotes run off, but they need help sometimes. Its sad to think someone who obviously has little real-world knowledge of of something can have such a strong opinion on it. Of course, that's one of those things that can be said about a lot of people and a lot of topics, these days....