Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Yotes killing calves?

Old 03-07-2008, 09:52 AM
Typical Buck

Default Yotes killing calves?

A friend has had 2 calves killed by yotes this week. He says there are 6-8 yotes in the pack. Going over there sunday evening.Here's the dilema:

Option 1: Set up and call. Areas was hunting once last year.

Option 2: Set and wait. If there is a pack 6-8 and there are newborn calves. The element of surprise is a serious advantage.

Option 3: A combination of the two. Set up wait. Minimal calling? wait more.

There will be 2-3 of us for an evening hunt. If we decide to call, caller will be non-shooter, totally concealed. Two shooters set up 100 yds each direction of caller. I've called in and killed plenty of yotes, but this is for real. This guys losing calves and needs our help.

Any opinions or other options.
Old 03-07-2008, 10:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Yotes killing calves?

Sounds like a good scenario for someone to come in and setup a bunch of traps and snares. If you are really wanting to affect the coyote population trapping is much more effective than hunting them.
Old 03-07-2008, 11:45 AM

If there all ready killing calves your going to have trouble calling them in with their bellys all ready full. Sitting and waiting is a option but most likely they are hunting at night so thats going to be tough for you. I agree with npaden if your wanting to get of problem yotes its more effective to trap them.
Old 03-07-2008, 12:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

If traps aren't an option, although they are the BEST and most efficient option, then set up like you said with two or three rifleshootersand have the person positioned in the center do the calling and I'd stick with simple lone howls. By using the howls only, it might be enough to make the coyotes curious as to the "new" guy and also might make them feel that the coast is clear to come into the area before dark.
I'd suggest sitting well after dark with spot lights, but if I remember right, you can't do that legally in the OK state!
Old 03-07-2008, 03:40 PM
Typical Buck

All true statements, I think that would be your best option, to post even 250 yards from the caller. As long as you have rifles. I would also use at least one decoy, two would be better, near a carcous. Trapping is the best way to kill yotes, but not nearly as much fun as giving them lead poisening
Old 03-07-2008, 07:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Trapping is the best way to kill yotes, but not nearly as much fun as giving them lead poisening
Ya got that right!
Old 03-07-2008, 08:17 PM
Typical Buck

I beleive that howls is the way to go,many coyotes are called in with full stomaches,they will come to howls due to curiosity,just to see if they can possibly run off the intruder from that free veal that they are eating,if you go to the bathroom at a resturant and somebody is eating you food when you come back aint you going to run them off even if you aint gonna finish your meal now.I have had luck in the past calling around carcasses,they will continue to come to the area until every bone is gone and the hide usually.
Old 03-07-2008, 09:04 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Howler

Trapping is the best way to kill yotes, but not nearly as much fun as giving them lead poisening
Ya got that right!
X2 Snare em.
Old 03-07-2008, 09:41 PM
Fork Horn

This week it happened here but we were ready hearded all hefers to 1 fenced block and waited we got 3 still borns from a different farm cut um open {yea I know sick } the wind was working for us and here they came 14 of em down the fence line it took about an hr . There was 3 shooters in the top of the barn 2 at ground level and 4 hideing in the round bales stacked up out from the barn. Lead feststarted when the older 1s came in and started rippen the young followed . Only 2 got a way all in all most were drop on the spot 3 were picked off by the shgunners in the bales. This time it was planned out last yr this guy lost 41 calf,s this yr 2 all heffers are kept close and 24hr shootin buddys are hanging out.Waiting for pics .
Old 03-09-2008, 11:56 AM
Fork Horn

WOW thats a nice sized pack there it bet that sound like a war wen you guys started unloadin LOL