Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

22 LR and Coyotes

Old 05-17-2007, 10:37 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: 22 LR and Coyotes

ORIGINAL: Jrbhunter

If you want to coyote hunt, get a coyote rifle. If you want to use your squirrel gun- squirrel hunt.
Old 05-29-2007, 05:35 AM
Boone & Crockett

Yes, i sometimes shoot them with a .22 if they are close enough. Nothing unethical with shooting any animal thatquickly dies.If your pararie dogs are running off after being shot with a .22 you ain't shooting them in the right place. No excuse for a squirrel needing more than one shot with a .22. Unless, of course, you are shooting them in the guts.
I have to agree with this statement 100% if you can't shoot straight or shoot the coyotes or whatever in the right place then why try to shoot it in half ? I am not saying it would be the best gun to shoot one with but, why would you want to blow it into 2 pieces?
Old 06-05-2007, 07:09 AM

If you're confident you can make a headshot then go for it, that's the only way you'll drop a yote with a .22. In my opinion the most ideal cartridge is the .223.

Better yet if you don't want the pelt just use your deer rifle same load and everything, good target practice.
Old 06-13-2007, 06:21 PM
Spike

rimfires have no business anywhere near a coyote unless they are in a trap. no you don't have to shoot them in half, but you do need a gunthat can do the job consistently. i don't think a .22 fits that bill.
Old 06-13-2007, 06:51 PM

A .22 LR will do the job but most of the coyotes will run off wounded. Unless its a good vital shot.

You can get a coyote pelt all year round but the winter is by far the best since its real fluffy. The summer pelt is kinda simliar to a dogs coat.

30-30 will damage the fur. I'd go with a .20 caliber of some sort. Some good calibers are .223, .204, .243, and my favorite the .22-250.
Old 06-14-2007, 01:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Welcome to the baord reckling and catch. It's nice to see more common sense posters around here.
Old 06-15-2007, 03:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yea they are some pretty dangerous game!!! And I always want to make sure I get them recovered so they wont go to waste, alot of good meat there.That is my favorite meat to eat! Come on howler you act like it is a trophy buck that is getting away or you are going to do something with it in the summer when its not fluffy(prime).There are lots of post on here about hunters killing a deer with a .22 hornet and you all cant kill a coyote with a .22lr or a .22wmr.Give me a break.Hell I have killed 800lb cows with a .22lr and only one shot.Sure it was at close range and right in the head but that is my point.If it is a reasonable range then it will kill them as good as anything.Try practicing shooting and it will come to you.Its like I said I have called in many coyotesand shot them with my .22wmr and they never knew it was that or a .300wm.
Old 06-16-2007, 06:53 AM

Some areas such as NYS only allow a rimfire rifle during any open season for deer (Oct thur Dec) ... this amounts for half of my coyote season (Oct thru March). Since I sure am not staying home I carry my 22 Mag during this time... it anchors a coyote very well out to 80-100 yards. Say what you want too but some people have no choice but to carry a rimfire for part of their season.
Old 06-16-2007, 07:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was thinking the same thing... Who really cares if you dont find them... As far as I'm concerened... One less deer being killed by one

Hell a yote aint much bigger than a fox aint it???
Old 06-17-2007, 07:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hmmmmm, I could've swore that the topic at hand was the 22lr, not the 22 mag. If I had no choice in caliber, I'd choose the 22 mag., BUT come on, to admit to not careing weather or not you recover your targets is childish at best. If you really don't care if you kill'em or wound'em, than just carry your 22lr all season and shoot'em up, but don't go on the internet and brag about it. Personnally, I sell the pelts so Ichoose to shoot them with a rifle that allows me to recover them near the point of being shot. Less time trying to find a wounded one is nice too, although I see now that some guys don't care to find them at all, dead or wounded.[:'(]
I witnessed a 2000# herford bull being put down with the lowly 22lr., and it took two shots. What does that have to do with being able to cleanlyshoot AND recover coyotes that have been body shot.
As far as getting out to shoot more, counting this weekend and last weekend, I shot some where around 1000 rounds through my 17hmr, .204, 22-250, and my .243 combined. So I think I got the "practice" part down pretty well, thank you very much!It's just too bad that all that practice was off a bench, so I'd hate to admit it, but I'd still struggle to hit the "brain" of a coyote in a calling situation from 50 to 100 yards even 50% of the time off shooting sticks and concidering that I may call and get to shoot at about 50 coyotes in a winter, that average don't enthuse me much! A lot of you guys are just better shots than me, apparently. After all, you guys keep preaching "head" shots like anything in the head will kill a coyote when actually the brain is the only kill zone and is the size of an egg.! All I can say, you guys ARE GOOOOooooddddd![8D]

Quick Reply: 22 LR and Coyotes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.