Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Small Game, Predator and Trapping
 Just getting into squirel/coyote hunting! >

Just getting into squirel/coyote hunting!

Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Just getting into squirel/coyote hunting!

Old 01-24-2007, 11:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Just getting into squirel/coyote hunting!

McKianj, why don't you go look at his comments on the "rabbit hunting video"! I'm fully aware of him being new to hunting and uneducated about any hunting anywhere except in his forest!
Predator26, I didn't call you a "white" hunter. Instead I used the phase "great white hunter" as if you are a hunter that is above the rest, but I said it tongue and cheek since I already could tell from your other posts that you haven't hunted far from home, and are uneducated about hunting laws, tactics, animals, etc. that are found across the nation! In laymans terms, I'd rather be called a great white hunter instead of a "douchebag" and hillbilly" hunter any day! Why don't you respondon the rabbit hunting video thread again. You've got some questions waiting for ya there!
Yeah, I'm with PETA and HSUS that's why I been posting here for just a few years![8D] Ya might want to hang out around here for a while before making such assumptions!
Old 01-24-2007, 03:23 PM

Sorry Howlerdid not mean for that to offend you. I won't make that assumption about you or anyone else OKAY.
Old 01-24-2007, 03:40 PM

for squirrels that are gonna be shot at running, use a 12 ga semiauto or pump, use no. 7 1/2 to no. 5 shot. but only use shot over six at 30 or more yards because this will tear the squirrel apart. 2 3/4 shells will work fine, no matter the shot size. anything out to 30 yards use a skeet or improved cylinder choke. any more than 30 use a modified or full choke. for still hunting, i would use a .22 lr, .17M2, .22 mag, or .17HMR, in any action (preferably semiauto if legal). they are only about 100 bucks at walmarts and bullets are cheap also. like 11 bucks for 550 .22 lr bullets. also top it off wiht a scope that can pull in enouhg light to shoot near the end of the day. for coyotes if you want to keep the pelt try only headshots (unless you want the head with it) and make sure your gun is super accurate and use the lowest grain bullets u can find. they will probably go faster and shoot flatter. but if u want to hit its vitals try somthing like .22 mag at the least, .22-250 (definitely not in ranges at 200yds or lower because of power), .223, .220 Swift (i prefer this one), .221 Fireball, .218 Bee, or maybe even a .243 at most. you can find plenty of info on how to gut and everything all around the web. u can choose any action u want but just make sure you top it of with a red dot scope or soemthing with some kidn of light if legal. good luck.
Old 01-24-2007, 04:51 PM

i just picked up a nice Savage Mark-II .22 from walmart for 105 dollars ,now there will be tax and ID check on you and it all figure out to be a hair under $119
get a box or remington shells .$10.00 for 550 of them a decent scope $30 bucks Tasco 3x9x40mm and a set of see thru mounts and your hooked up for squirrel and yotes
just get the hollow points solids just dont seem to do the job on a fox or a yote if the shot isnt perfectly placed
so for less then $180 dollars you can be in business

Old 01-24-2007, 05:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

your hooked up for squirrel and yotes
just get the hollow points solids just dont seem to do the job on a fox or a yote if the shot isnt perfectly placed
Skip the .22lr for fox and coyote! It's not enough gun period! You will loose way more than you recover even trying to use the .22lr on fox and coyote!
Old 01-25-2007, 04:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

For squirrel I'd use a bow. But get some cheap arrows cause you're going to lose and break a bunch.
Have fun!
Old 01-25-2007, 04:27 PM

Iuse a 12 gauge for squirrels and anything I can for coyotes. I'm not picky about what I shoot either with.
Old 01-25-2007, 04:31 PM
Dominant Buck

Well, I hunt squirrels for eating and not just killing them. I don't like using the shotgun because it peppers them with shot. I use .22LR scoped rifle and mostly head shots.

Yotes, I use .243 cause it's the smallest I have in centerfire.If I had a .223 I would use it on Yotes.