Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Small Game, Predator and Trapping
 Just getting into squirel/coyote hunting! >

Just getting into squirel/coyote hunting!

Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Just getting into squirel/coyote hunting!

Old 01-20-2007, 08:59 PM

Default Just getting into squirel/coyote hunting!

OK guys, I wanna start hunting squirel and coyote. Now, what kinds of firearms are used for hunting these specific animals?

For squirel I'm assuming a shotgun, but whiat shot and action? And I'm not really sure about coyote, should I get a bolt action, semi-automatic? If bolt action is suggested, will my 30-06 be too much?

And what do you do with them after you kill em'? Squirels and coyote.

Also, is there any websites with real good information about how to hunt these animals or one of em' because I have no idea, and no small game hunting is on HuntingNet's thing.
Old 01-20-2007, 09:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Just getting into squirel/coyote hunting!

for squirrel you can use a variety of guns: 22lr, 12ga, 20 ga, hi-powered pellet gun, or a .17

you can eat squirrels if you want. any action shotgun will work. single shot, pump, semi, etc.

for yote's, if you plan on keeping the pelt i wouldn't use a 30-06. go with a 22-250. if you aren't trying to sell the pelt for money, the 30-06 will be fine. it's just over-kill an not necessary. after you kill a yote there are basically two things you can do. leave it, or try to sell the pelt.

check out www.varmintal.com for tons of information on calling, hunting, which calls to use, etc. for yote's

hope that helped you. good luck
Old 01-20-2007, 09:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

Your 30-06 will work for coyotes. If you plan on keeping the hides, you may have to do a little stitching. A shotgun will also work.

After you get into it a little more, you may decide you want a dedicated predator rifle. Any of the .22 centerfires make great predator rifles.

Most of my rifles are bolt actions, but semi-autos and single shots work fine, too. Usually bolt guns and single shots are plenty accurate, but some of the less expensive semi-autos are not. If someone goes the semi-auto route, an AR is probably the way to go.

I just recently picked up a Franchi I-12 shotgun, and I have been taking it out, especially at night, when I've been hunting. So far, I've got nothing but good things to say about it. A lot of this area is pretty brushy and shots are close, so a shotgun is not at much of a disadvantage.

I'm not much of a squirrel hunter, but my great grandfather was a die-hard squirrel hunter. He went out and shot 3 squirrels every Sunday for dinner with his Ithica 20 guage. His was a pump, but if it were myself buying a shotgun, there is no way I would not get a 12 guage semi-automatic. There are a lot to choose from, and many shoot 2-3/4" and 3" shells, which will work on squirrels, predators, and nearly anything else you care to hunt with a shotgun.
Old 01-20-2007, 09:35 PM

Can you guys please tell me what the pelt is? LOL
Old 01-20-2007, 10:51 PM

The pelt is the skin, fur attached
Old 01-22-2007, 03:24 PM

ORIGINAL: metaldonnieg

The pelt is the skin, fur attached
Alright thanks.
Old 01-22-2007, 03:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

A great white hunter like you should've known what the "pelt" was. Here you are calling other hunters names, and you didn't even know what thepelt was? []Grow up!!
I don't mind helping other hunters, but when they take the low ground and speak a split tongue toward other hunters on issues they know nothing about, I just gotta scratch my head!! [&:]
Old 01-23-2007, 02:30 PM

ORIGINAL: Howler

A great white hunter like you should've known what the "pelt" was. Here you are calling other hunters names, and you didn't even know what the pelt was? [] Grow up!!
I don't mind helping other hunters, but when they take the low ground and speak a split tongue toward other hunters on issues they know nothing about, I just gotta scratch my head!! [&:]
lol...are you black or something? why are you calling me a white hunter?

And if anybody needs to grow up it's obviously you, please only post if what you type is relevant to the thread's topic.
Old 01-23-2007, 03:38 PM

Don't worry about it he forgot that you are new at this stuff. I have talked to people before and they don't know what a pelt is. The word pelt is more common to trappers not hunters. Most hunters know them as hides not pelts, he might just be with PETA or the HSUS so forget him. So heres how to get started find a .22that will shot Long, Shorts and Long Rifle. You can kill squirel and coyotes with it.
Old 01-24-2007, 07:42 AM

I agree the .22 will work fine in both cases....at least to get you started. If it something that you really interested in then maybe go to something different. A 22 can be purchesed fairly cheap and they are alot of fun.

Quick Reply: Just getting into squirel/coyote hunting!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.