Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Bobcat trapping

Old 01-09-2007, 07:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Bobcat trapping

This weekend I was in SE Kansas on a quail hunt. The landowner is a full-time trapper in the winter. He traps 50-75 bobcat each wintet along w/ coyote, coon, badger, and possums.

Anyway the second morning we were there he caught a bobcat and wanted us to see it. I was very excited to see a live bobcat up close and personal like that. Ive seen them hunting but not literally at my feet.

Well the reason i'm posting is that instead of shooting the bobcat and putting a hole in the hide and getting blood everywhere he grabs a stick and pops the cat over the head. This dazes the cat(not unconscious) long enough for him to swoop in and grab it by the throat w/ one hand and choke it. Suffocating it until it died! I wouldnt have believed it ifi didnt see it for myself.

It sounds cruel but worse things happen in nature and it was very interesting to watch. Just wondering if any of you other trappers have heard of or do this yourselves.
Old 01-09-2007, 07:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Bobcat trapping

I do not trap them but a friend of mine does and he shoots them. I also knew of a guy that would stick them with a stick in order to stand on the chest of them. A friend of mines son caught one this past December and I know without a doubt I would shoot it as they are very dangerous if not handled right. Here is a photo of his and he shot it with a pistol. As it was 43 pounds of terror.

Old 01-09-2007, 07:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

phil, that is a monster cat!! the one i watched him kill weighed in at 25lbs. he said he doesnt start catching the really big ones until the cats start breeding in late jan/early feb.

I was very impressed by him and probably going to attempt to trap one myself and do the same thing.. Of course i'll probably hit it a little harder, squeeze a little tighter, and wear some really thick leather gloves. He did it barehanded.
Old 01-09-2007, 07:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

When I saw the claws on this one I know for me it is very clear that it would be shot. But, if you have been able to watch it might make it easier for you. But, keep in mind if your are to close and miss the cat probably wouldn't miss you. Good Luck anyhow.
Old 01-09-2007, 07:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'll keep that in mind. this guy has been trapping for 25 years and he made it look easy. I'll let you know how it goes. thx for the advice
Old 01-10-2007, 02:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

How do you trap for a bobcat? I know of a few on the land that I hunt and would love to get one! Any comments on how to "lure" them to a spot or trap them would be awesome!!!
Old 01-10-2007, 07:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: r33h

How do you trap for a bobcat? I know of a few on the land that I hunt and would love to get one! Any comments on how to "lure" them to a spot or trap them would be awesome!!!
Ive never trapped in my life but I have a few traps at my house and the guy i talked to told me a few pointers. He said the easiest place is to place the trap on a trail where you have seen bobcat frequent. he uses bobcat scent or poop on the dirt above the trap and digs a small hole next to the trap where he puts some rabbit fur. Maybe someone else has more experience
Old 01-10-2007, 07:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

Some folks here use bark to boil their traps in to get rid of any scent from them. They use a stick to pick them out of the hot water and bark. ( This will also darken the traps. ) Then they only handle the traps with rubber gloves on so the animals they are after will not smell them. Some old raw meat in a sealed jar for a few days so it gets smelley. They dig a small hole and put some of it in there. The trap is set and lightly covered with the dirt from digging the hole. They also use a drag on the traps so the cats can go if the trap and gets snarled up on the bushes on what ever.
Old 01-10-2007, 09:26 PM

Sweet story I have never trapped for more then barnyard pest's, but I know and have known a few. As far as Bobcat I remember a old timer his name was Snuffy Bunning had ten dogs he would use and follow in snow shoes. He shot and trapped allot of cat you could sayhe lived for it.I miss him a man of strong character, sounds like that Kansas Trapper got it to.
nice story here are some pics from my collection of early 1900 trapping

Old 01-10-2007, 10:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

What is used for traps? Is it a home-made jobber that is simple to make or does the trap need to be something that is bought? Is it a snare?? Sorry for the stupid questions, I just don't know much about the subject.

Quick Reply: Bobcat trapping

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.