Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Possible Cougar in Ohio?

Old 01-15-2006, 10:17 PM
Fork Horn

Default Possible Cougar in Ohio?

All, I'm asking this question because I'm thinking maybe I'm nuts. Back in the spring my neighbor calls me who raise's fighting chickens and asked If I'd been hearing this wildcat at night. She said it had been rippen the chickens right off their steel ties. At the time I had'nt until about 3 weeks later when my dogs awoke me barking their heads off.What I heard didn't sound like a woman scream as what I've been told by countless others of what a wildcat sounds like. Later in the summer I heard the same animal this time it was closer and I heard it make its sound maybe 5-10 times and it was probably within 60-80 yrds. It was very loud so it may have been closer. It sounded identical to cougar or Mt.Lion that you'd hear on TV or some wave file on the net. Is this possible in SE ohio? I've been a hunter all my life and still have yet to see or hear a wildcat but whatI heard on numerous occations didn't at all sound like what I've been told they would. We are located in Meigs Co. which is in the foothills of the Applachian Mt's. A'm I going nuts or was it just a wildcat?
Old 01-15-2006, 11:41 PM

Default RE: Possible Cougar in Ohio?

Fighting chickens huh? On the cougar thing, it is possible to have a rogue run nomad for hundreds of miles. There hunting range is anywhere from 25 to 55 sq. miles, and could be farther if you have a rogue. We had one that was even tagged that eventually was shot because it was slaughtering sheep every night for a fortnight. Its tag was for the Sierra Nevada area, and I am in the central coast of Cali.But, I could offer the guess on a bobcat as well, but you are saying that the calls it has been making is like a cougar. Have you tracked it, or has anyone found tracks? Chickens can draw in a hungry cougar, but in a general sense, they like a little bigger massed animal for those precious guts. I would try to find some tracks, and then do some comaparison investigating. Good luck! Oh, and always, when tracking, keep a weapon, a whistle, and some smarts with you at all times. You don't want to become a statistic!!!!!
Old 01-16-2006, 04:23 PM
Typical Buck

I would first take a chunk of fresh meat and put it in front of a trail camera. Whatever it is, it wont be able to resist the free meat.
Old 01-16-2006, 07:17 PM
Fork Horn

i can belive that i live in southern michigan and there has been spotings i also found some good size traks but haven't seen it. I think what happened with this cat was it was domsetic or something. I don't really like to walk in the woods with out a gun now.
Old 01-16-2006, 08:14 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: takedownfreak123

I don't really like to walk in the woods with out a gun now.
I dont blame you. Theres been spotings of mountain lions up around my camp and now i dont leave without at least my deer knife. Rather be safe than sorry.....
Old 01-17-2006, 04:21 AM
Fork Horn

BowHunter46, what state do you live in? I did'nt go and look for any tracks but it was heard again by my Dad at his farm about a 1/4 mile up the road about three weeks ago. I suppose maybe something that's helped fuel the fire (or gut) is we butchered a couple hogs and a half dozen deer about that same time and threw the remain's out in the field for the fox's and coyotes to enjoy. This may have something to due with us hearing him again.
Old 01-17-2006, 01:23 PM
Typical Buck

Well TC209x50, I live in PA. Around my part of the state, mountain lions arnt very common. I have never heard it or seen it right behind my camp. Its been spotted right on the other side of the river though. I think it was someones pet that got loose. Very Creepy! Do you think you would be able to trap your lion? Maybe relocating it would work. But dont bring him herelol
Old 01-17-2006, 10:29 PM

you guys are lucky to have cougers.i would give my natual good looks and incredible genious for some kind of wild life.the reagion(sp?) hereis actualy perfect for wildlife but the area happens to be vancouver washington, home of the sub divisions,killer of trees and devourer of real estate.we have no cougars, deer, fox,rabbit or much else.thebest thing we have is raccon and red tailed hawk.red tail because theres so many rats.and raccoons cause of the road kill.we do have loan rogue cayotes,but thats because of the protaction that thet get be cause of the no shooting near a settle ment rule.and you cant build under atransformer so that givesthem a little bit of land.the buyers of this land that have horses drive them out quick with anything that shoots.mostly for target practice.
i moved from seattle to vancouver to have a higher mortgage,no starbucks and the grass is a different shade of sh**
[8D]
Old 01-17-2006, 10:39 PM

[quote]ORIGINAL: untried_talent

you guys are lucky to have cougers.i would give my natual good looks and incredible genious for some kind of wild life.the reagion(sp?)

Good joke with the spelling thing, coming from a genious...LOL