Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

early yote call success, with bow, story

Old 10-13-2002, 07:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default early yote call success, with bow, story

Well, had a buddy come out from Ks. this weekend for 3 days of calling, trying to call and kill coyotes with bow only. This country I call is big and open. Went out Fri. and the wind came up early, plus temp. got up around 80. Luckfully, I also had an antelope tag to fill and Fri. was the last day of season, so I put the bow away and got my doe which finished the day. Sat. came with much cooler weather. So we went out, taking turns calling and filming, while the other set up for a shot. We called in three by noon, but had no luck in getting a shot at any of them. Finally, with about 35 minutes of day light left, we had just finished a set, when a coyote howled not too far away, so we sat back down, and my buddy did a high pitched howl in response. We waited silently for a couple minutes, and here comes the coyote. About 200 yrds. away now, coming very slowly. I get an arrow nocked, my buddy gets the camara on him and begins to lip squeek, and here it comes. Finally, the coyote is just 40 yrds., goes behind some soap weed, and I draw, It's coming on a walk, looking for the source of the lip squeek that it had heard, 30...., now 25...., 20 and still walking. I want it to stop for the shot, so I softly lip squeek, but it keys in on me and start trotting directly to me, 19, 18 17 16, 15 14 13, and at 12 yrds. I was left to defend myself. I let fly, sticking the arrow in its head. Sweet Success. I got good penetration with rocket steel heads, the coyote didn't get far. Nothing like doing it the hard way, but it makes success that much better. I think we'll be carrying our rifles next time.
Old 10-13-2002, 09:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: early yote call success, with bow, story

sweet story! that sure would be something to be proud of! and a head shot yet! congrats!

Old 10-15-2002, 09:18 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-15-2002, 07:05 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: early yote call success, with bow, story

wow,that sounds like it was fun,some fast paced action there.congrats on the bow kill.now i think i can honestly say that is somthing that won't happen every time out and best of all you got it on video.now that calls for a double congrats.