Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Coyote in Iowa?

Old 10-15-2002, 09:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Coyote in Iowa?

I'm sure they're still around, but never see them.

If there are Coyotes in Iowa, where and when should one go out looking for them? Are predator calls necessary to get them close? And does anyone know if it's legal to hunt them with a centerfire rifle like a .22/250?

As far as the last question, I know that centerfire rifle hunting isn't allowed for deer here. Rimfires are legal for small game, but I've head through the hunting regs a dosen times but they don't say if C-fire rifles are legal for varminting and predators.

Thanks,

Mike

Gun control means putting the second bullet through the same hole as the first- Ted Nugent
NRA Member
Muzzleloading- Once you go black, you'll never go back!!
Old 10-15-2002, 07:24 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Coyote in Iowa?

well i don't live in iowa but i,m sure theres coyotes there.coyotes live every where now.as far as whats legal,the best way to find out is call your game dept and talk to a conservation officer and ask what the scoop is.don't talk to a secratary,talk to the person who will wright you the sitation if you are in violation.distress calls are the best way to work a coyote in but good scouting and stand locations are just as important.the coyote is a slick critter so pay attention to details and always use the wind,he's going to.
Old 10-16-2002, 07:17 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Coyote in Iowa?

good lord yes, there are coyotes in iowa! there are tons of them. if you are out "looking" for them now, you will rarely see them. they are easier to spot with snow. go outside around dusk and listen. centerfire rifles are legal for coyotes in iowa. a call is the best way to get them to come to you.