Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Small Game, Predator and Trapping
 Got in a squirrel in the back yard... >

Got in a squirrel in the back yard...

Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Got in a squirrel in the back yard...

Old 12-07-2005, 09:15 AM
Fork Horn

Default Got in a squirrel in the back yard...

I have been sick for three days at home board...today i look out the window and theres a squirrel sitting low on a tree in my backyard...I live in New york and its about 20 degrees and the wind is s/w with a chill factor of 6 degrees...Anyways a little while before i saw the squirrel i thought of squirrel wings...like chicken wings but squirrel legs...anyways i saw this big fat gray bushytail in the backyard and l pumped up the cheap old crosman 66 powermaster in .177..I just bought these diffirent ( but cheap) pellets from walmart..They are .177 crosman premier hollow points..They are a little heavier and a tiny bit slower...I knew they would work for the starlings but wasnt sure about squirrels..Anyways i go outside and he keeps running on opposite sides of the tree as me...So i go back inside because i think i almost got frost bite...I wait about 15 minutes and come back out side knowing he has nowhere to go but down the tree..He was flattened up againt the tree trunk about 40 feet up and the wind was whipping...I have this dinky pellet gun and im thinking yeah right...I try to hold steady as possible, but i cant because of the wind...so I just slowly squeeze the trigger..and wait till the sights are right...The little hollow point hit him right behind the ear and went up into his brain...He hit the ground like a rock...i shot him again because he was still moving...Im sure it was just nerves...Anyway better than sitting around watching tv...Maybe if i watch my backyard long enough i'll be able to make a squirrel wing meal...Matt
Old 12-12-2005, 07:39 PM

Default RE: Got in a squirrel in the back yard...

Just to let you know, the 66 Powermaster you have should have a rifled barrel because that's how they sell them. I say this because on a 27 yard shot and the wind is blowing about 20 mph it may be about .7 centimeters off. So don't doubt it. I know this from experience with my 664GT.
Old 12-12-2005, 08:36 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Got in a squirrel in the back yard...

Lol i vever claimed skill...just luck..If it wasn't windy it would of een a fairly easy shot...