Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Back Yard Arrows >

Back Yard Arrows

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Back Yard Arrows

Old 03-25-2005, 12:30 PM

Default Back Yard Arrows

While I have not had a bad experience shooting in my back yard, after only a couple sessions I realized I was stupid shooting field tips back there. I have read some posts on this subject. Even if I did not hit anything or anybody, just the thought of retrieving an arrow from a neighbor is a horrifyingly irresponsible thought.

So I bought these 100 gr rubber tips. Even though I knew it would not be too good, I tried one in my layered target. Do I need to say it was an undesirable result? Stuck tip and obvious mis-use of the target.

Then I hung a free swinging 3 ft by 3 ft piece of heavy carpet from a frame, with a paper target on it. Someone else had to watch to tell me where I hit. Then for the funny part . . . my son tried using a rubber stamp ink pad to mark the hit. Dunk the tip in the pad and shoot. It works better than I would have thought.

I really don't know how much damage these tips could do. I know I have been very impressed with the energy you can develop with a bow. The neighbor who lives in the direction we shoot is also a shooter and is comfortable with what I am doing. He is now shooting these my direction in his back yard.

Any thoughts, even if you're going to tell me I'm still not very smart?

Old 03-25-2005, 12:36 PM

Default RE: Back Yard Arrows

If you were like me you wouldn't have to worry about missing.
Old 03-25-2005, 12:40 PM

I like the fact you are thinking safty. As long as there is no one down range (how close is neighbor who dosn't care if you shoot or not?) and the arrows still shoot accurately then I see no problem. If you arrows are flying errant I would consider building a backstop and just shoot regular field tips that hit where you aim them.

Just my $0.02
Old 03-25-2005, 12:48 PM

Thanks. No, the arrows are not errant. I'm just human, so are my sons, and could have a release slip or something else. I have never missed a target, either, in my vast four months of shooting.
Old 03-25-2005, 01:04 PM

I am glad that you are being safe.
Old 03-25-2005, 03:04 PM
Fork Horn

I shoot in my backyard ,i'm on one acre(rural area) with about seventy yards from the back of the house to the fence, there is a natural enclave or small hill just beyond that with nieghbors about 10 or twelve feet high above my shooting plane, i'm currently setup at 20-30-40 yards with my practice targets, this weekend i will be adding backstops (3) 4X8 sheets of plywood right behind my forty yarder will the rest of the targets following in a direct line should any errant arrows miss. I also keep my targets no higher than 3 feet. So far i've never had nieghbors complain.
Old 03-28-2005, 07:44 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: zak123

Really? LOL. Then why did you post that inquiry about how to make a backstop? LOL. You goober. [8D]
Old 03-28-2005, 07:55 PM

ORIGINAL: Jollyarcher

ORIGINAL: zak123

Really? LOL. Then why did you post that inquiry about how to make a backstop? LOL. You goober. [8D]
I tried to give others a hint that they need to be safe! Duh![:-]
Old 03-28-2005, 08:01 PM
Typical Buck

LOL!