Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Use your dog for coyote bait?

Old 12-28-2005, 02:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Use your dog for coyote bait?

What's wrong with using your own kid as bait. My 20 month old son comes in handy in baggin those 13 foot Louisiana gators. Of course, re-teaching him to walk on that wooden leg is a headache.

Seriously though,my Father swears that a pack of coyotes will sometimes send a female in heat up to someone's yard to lure theirdog away so that the pack can kill it. However, if i was a male coyote around a female in heat, i don't think that i would be thinking that clearly.
Old 12-28-2005, 02:50 PM

ORIGINAL: Rockfish1

using a dog to draw in yotes is just plain lazy and irresponsible.
everyone has their own opinion, but Mike kills more coyote in a year then you've ever seen... Bubba loves his job and does it well... how is that lazy or irresponsible?...
You are right with the opinion rebut. I have mine, and you have yours. And thats that, but you cannot say that Mike kills more coyotes in a year then I will ever see. Sorry dude, I wouldn't invest in that short statement. I will kill plenty a year, every year, even though this year was slim, but where I hunt and live, I have an abundance of coyote that I harvest and track. It is nonsense to say that one person kills more coyotes in a year than one person will ever see. What a hasty generalization and an incorrect notion I might add. And the lazy thing. If you read my post again, you just might understand the logic behind that. My main objection was to fully rely on the scent of your own dog to draw in coyotes and not use calls instead. Read the post again and the arguement will become clearer for you.
Old 12-28-2005, 04:01 PM

using a dog is lazy? like for coon or cat or bear or hog or rabbit or pheasant or quail or duck? itsnot lazy just another way to get the job done.
as I said go to coyotegods.com and check it out.
Old 12-28-2005, 04:23 PM

ORIGINAL: psychmonky

using a dog is lazy? like for coon or cat or bear or hog or rabbit or pheasant or quail or duck? its not lazy just another way to get the job done.
as I said go to coyotegods.com and check it out.
You obviously did not read my arguement. I do not agree using a dogs scent to attract or decoy yotes in. I personally do not feel that approach is viable since game calls would be better associated. And now with your arguement of pheasant or rabbit or quail or coon??? Come on, an upland gamebird is a different subject than a yote pointer. Get your arguement straight first, then come attacking. I will leave the arguement with this, since this thread is now just full of hot air, is using a dog as a "DECOY" for its scent, since pyschmonky and others choose to not read through the post, is not an approach I would endorse. I find it lazy, and yes, that is my opinion. Irresponsible was the word I used for using your dog into drawing the yote in, since in my hunting reality, packs out here shred dogs, cats, hell even a boy got dragged 300 yards and scarred up before a park ranger shot and killed two coyotes outside Simi Valley. Yes, that is extreme, but dogs getting shredded up, calfs being dragged out of the cows backend, full grown llama ( which I raise for pack animals and guards) taken down in mid-morning and gutted are extremes that I feel in my honest opinion that a dog, a man's personal companion, should not be used as a decoy for a yote. I don't endorse it, others don't, and others do. You may endorse it, and it may work for others, but its not a huge risk I am going to take with my weimaraner or yellow lab. go for it if it works for you, and I hope you prove me wrong, yet it won't change my mind. Happy Hunting to all, whatever practices you do, and good luck in '06.
Old 12-28-2005, 04:47 PM

I have to agree with coyote stalker!! all you guys have forgotten about the original post, it says to bring your dog out (make sure it is leashed) was how the original post was written! now, if you wanna say "what about bird, bear, coon, duck dogs" there is a big diffrence these dogs are not leashed and are trained for a specific job! Now there are special yote dogs, but thats a big diffrence between a leashed dog that is a sitting duck and a big dog that is trained and knows how to handle itself in a specific situation! I see to many risks in this kind of hunting, Now you can laugh at my earlier posts but dont give me that crap that i must be joking when i say "what if you miss a shot and the coyote gets at your dog" EVERYONE misses at some point and DUDES I am SURE you have missed way more shots than you will ever admit.. But like stalker said, if it works for you then have a ball. BUT I myself think it is a lazy and irresponsible way to hunt and would never put my springer spaniel into harms way. If i cant shoot coyote by using calls or DEAD bait, well then I guess I just have to get em next time or try a new area. GOOD LUCK to all you guys and have a great new year!!!!!!
Old 12-28-2005, 06:49 PM

My brother has a border collie that he uses, he happens to mind better than most kids I know especially his. Those coyotes just come in bristled up ready to fight and defend their territory while the dog just sits there looking at them normally sits him about 20 yards from us. The funny thing is that the dog must know what is going to happen, he just sits there which normally provides a great standing shot less than 100 yards. Very good kill percentage there. Then Mr. Collie has his fun after the coyote has been shot
Old 12-28-2005, 07:28 PM

Mr. collie has his fun after the coyote has been shot?? what do you mean? what does the collie do to the coyote????
Old 12-28-2005, 07:38 PM

When he releases him he will track him down or just wrestle him around a little bit. However, last year my brother knocked down a big dog he made it to a briar patch. The Collie went in he soon came out and decided to bark at him from outside the briar patch. This one was not DEAD yet
The dog seems to love it. To me it is kind of like taking you son or daughter hunting, they like to go to. I know the dog would prefer to be their instead of back at home.
Old 12-28-2005, 08:14 PM

well o.k. thats sounds cool, as long as the collie enjoys it then thats fine but using the pooch for bait is a whole nother story.
Old 12-28-2005, 08:37 PM

There would be no chance of that. He is trained to hunt squirrels, bay cows, decoy coyotes, and definitely minds better than either one of his sons, maybe twice as good.

Quick Reply: Use your dog for coyote bait?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.