Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Wind?

Old 01-01-2002, 10:26 PM
Spike

Default Wind?

When calling yotes or fox..wind at your back or wind in your face.with cover scent..
Old 01-02-2002, 08:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Wind?

Keep the wind in your face or cross wind at all times for the best success.If you're calling open land where you can see and get shots at 200 yrds. and futher, you can call with the wind at your back, but expect and plan on longer shots.From what I've seem, this goes with or without cover scents.
Old 01-02-2002, 06:26 PM
Typical Buck

yep wind in your face but sometimes that cross wind is very effective.i have done alot of experimanting with cover scents on deer,fox and coyotes.they work on deer but are no where near as effective on fox or coyotes.at times they do seem to confuse them for a short period(about 5 seconds or less)but will quickly straighten it out and bolt like a rocket.use the wind and save the cover scents for the deer woods.
Old 01-03-2002, 02:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

These guys are right, but from some of my experiences, wind doesn't really matter, most yotes I've shot have circled around behind me before we even see their pusher, but that's how yotes hunt near me, I don't know if it's different in other places, but our yotes will locate you, then one stays upwind and makes himself obvious while the others sneak around behind from downwind. I use more cover scent for yotes than I do for deer. Your nose has enough scent cells to cover a postage stamp, yotes cover ten square feet. They aren't stupid either, preferably you should keep the wind to your face or slightly across you, but cover up hardcore, baiting can help your scent prob, if you have fresh rabbits on the field they might disregard your faint scent and come in really close.

GOTTA LOVE THAT MARLIN MAGIC!!!!