Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

worst tasting meat

Old 08-18-2005, 06:51 PM
New Sheriff

Default RE: worst tasting meat

Yall that said duck, squirrel and rabbit have obviously never eaten a nutria.

I've always said that there is nothing, if cooked properly, that I wouldn't eat. That was before I ate bbq'd nutria.
Old 08-19-2005, 04:15 AM
Dominant Buck

Nutria ...
If memory serves , isn't that a real big South American rat of some kind ?

Personally , I'd love to see Capybaras stocked up here in the swamp areas , imagine chowing down on a 3 foot long rat that weighs as much as a large dog . Yum , yum !
Old 08-19-2005, 06:49 AM
Fork Horn

Possum tastes fine. Haven't had it for years, but here is what we used to do.

If you trap one first step is to put it in a cage and feed it table scraps for a week)they are known for eating roadkill).

Then clean it and boil it whole for an hour.

After that we would cut it up into 4 pieces and put it in the slow cooker with whatever was handy - potatoes, carrots, onions, etc.

It was good that way - the key is to boil off some of the fat.
Old 08-19-2005, 02:40 PM
New Sheriff

Nutria ...
If memory serves , isn't that a real big South American rat of some kind ?
I'm not sure of it's origin but they are a real big rat of some kind.

They are all over Arkansas and Louisianna.
Old 08-20-2005, 11:43 AM

Nutrias are originally from South America. The story I've heard, was that they escaped from a zoo in Louisiana that was destroyed in a hurricane. They took up in the marshes and have thrived. They're all over the southeast now. A big one typically weighs 15-20 lbs. I've killed several hundred of them, but never have been able to bring myself to eat one. Just imagine a 20 lb. gopher rat and you'll be thinking of a nutria.
Old 08-24-2005, 08:01 AM

Nutria arein the pacific northwest across the gulf coast and up the east coast as far as Maryland...
Old 08-24-2005, 09:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

ya'll bad mouthing ducks and geese just don't know how to cook...
I've heard this at least a dozen times from a dozen people. But no matter what they do, it still tastes like duck.[:'(]

There was one recipe that I had for duck that wasn't too bad. Take the duck, throw it in a pot and cook it like a roast, with taters, onions, celery, and carrots. The slower you cook it, the better. Then when it's done, throw out the duck and servethe vegetables.
Old 08-25-2005, 06:52 AM

Well after reading all the negative responses on eating ducks and geese I hope that these people no longer shoot them. If you do and don't eat them what do you do with them?
Old 08-25-2005, 08:38 AM

I have some fisherman friends that took me turtleing (snappers)well to see that ugly, dirty nasty thing on the deck of a boat and then to think I am going to eat it was out of the question. They cooked them and raved about how good they are and when I was forced to eat a piece I said I had to go and drove down the road and tossed it out the window. It may have been good but looking at it..... No Way was I eating it. So my vote goes with what is the ugliest.... Turtles

In hopes to save the Ducks... I think a lot of opinions are going to go the way the meat was prepared. I like Ducks and have had goose prepred like beef in a crock pot. The meat cut in chunks boiled and slow cooked and flavored with Beef Bullion.. it was awsome. We have cooked ducks in the oven using our special blends and prepared Mallards, Black Ducks, Widgeon and Canvasback. None in my opinion come close to a Canvasback. Teal are good also!

Old 08-29-2005, 06:37 PM
Spike

Muskrat bad????wow i love it ....demusk boil add a beer if yah want dry well and fry in butter until kinda crispy. mmmm mmmm mmmm that being said i dont like coon. anything you have to put tonnes of bbq sauce on has 2 strikes against it right away. later all
wicket

Quick Reply: worst tasting meat

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.