Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Coyote problem - where to begin?

Old 07-27-2005, 08:48 PM

Default Coyote problem - where to begin?

I have some property in southeast Kansas where I see lots of coyote sign and they can be heard howling like crazy every night. This year one flew in on my turkey decoy and knocked it down -- it happened so quick he was gone before I could react. I have never hunted these things before but they need to be thinned. My property is largely wooded and borders pastures on two sides. I know you use calls but what kind should I get? Where should I set up? I have a nice stand over looking the only significant clearing I have. Can you hunt them from a stand? I also have a creek through the middle of the property where I ambush deer at the crossing points. Can that work for coyotes? Any help for a beginner would be appreciated.
Old 07-27-2005, 11:44 PM

Default RE: Coyote problem - where to begin?

I would use a rabbit in distress call or if they come to your turkey decoy use that and a bird in distress call and wait in the clearing
Old 07-28-2005, 11:20 AM

Go and get the "calling all coyote" video or cd from Primos with Randy Anderson i think his name is. He is crazy, shoots alot of yotes and hardly ever used a rabbit in distress, just howls and other yote calls like dominence and pup in distress. IT is a great video and he gives good instructions on it regarding wind, calls and setups.
Old 07-29-2005, 07:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Trying to call them to you is your best bet. Waiting on a coyote to pass through any one given area is not a good bet. Most predator distress calls on the market will work. I'd suggest keeping it simple and getting a closed reed call, or two. If you don't have any idea of what sounds you should be mimicing, I'd suggest buying a video, such as was mentioned above, and listen to the sounds and then try to reproduce them. You DON"T have to sound exactly like any one other person that calls predators, BUT you DO need to listen to the rythum and learn how to put some excitement into the sounds. That's all it takes.
If you are very limited to acreage, a set or two every couple of weeks is all you can do and expect to have action. Once you miss any particular coyote, that coyote becomes a little harder to call again. To do so, you'd need to change calling location, time of day, type of call, or any one of those ingredients. A decoy is not necassary. If you know someone that already knows how to call, invite them onto your property and learn from them, it will make the learning curve much shorter!
Howling works great, BUT it is also a method that if not done right, will not work at all. So I'd suggest leaving howling alone as a beginner!
Good Luck!
Old 07-29-2005, 04:13 PM

Thanks to all for the advice!