Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Coyote problem

Old 09-11-2006, 09:51 AM

Default Coyote problem

Hey, I'm having a coyote problem. They are killing calves and cats and what not. I hear the buggers every night yelpin and howlin, but never see them during the day. What is the best way to go about hunting these pests?I don't know where they hang out during the day, or even for sure where they hang out during the night other than a rough idea since i can hear them. Is there any way to draw these dogs out of where they are hiding and into where i can shoot them? It sounds like a pretty big group of dogs at night if that matters.
Old 09-11-2006, 02:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Coyote problem

There are a myriad of ways to handle the situation. Trapping an dhunting are the best ways. From the sound of it you don't have much trapping experience so hunting would be the best option. Are they killing your calfs and cats? If so, buy a remote caller, available through any sporting goods dealer, ie basspro. These should be able to call them in. If you don't have any experience with this, find someone that is. Coyotes are smart and learn quickly. I bet there are a few on here that would be willing ot help you out. Especially if you have any deer on your land. Heck, most wouldn't charge you for the opportunity to hunt coyotes with the option for deer. Hope it helps. If I can do anything for ya let me know.
Old 09-11-2006, 04:11 PM

get a yote call, a AR-15 and have some fun!!they come to you!

-Travis-
Old 09-11-2006, 08:02 PM

Trapping is the best, but you could get call and shoot em, if another cow gets killed(hope it dosen't happen) but if it dose take a few hay bales and sit by by there ontill you feel better, if ya know what I mean,lol.
Old 09-11-2006, 08:36 PM

can i do this in the middle of the day? or what is the best time?
Old 09-11-2006, 08:47 PM
Typical Buck

night time is actually the best. but if your state doesnt alow it . then dawn and dusk. calling take alot of hard work and detication. much harder than deer hunting even. i would read up everything you can. for hunting over bait (also check your state laws) nighttime as well is best. but trapping will catch you more yotes than either if you do it right. good luck
Old 09-11-2006, 09:03 PM
Fork Horn

where at in iowa i will come and shoot them with you i have the calls already
Old 09-12-2006, 10:58 AM

I have trapping experience, so i guess i'll just go that route. I just thought it would be funner to hunt them. Thanks for all the help, i'll let you know how it goes.
Old 09-12-2006, 02:53 PM

If you can pin point where they're comming under a fence that's a good place for a blind set - snare would work great there if they are legal in your state. Also if they are coming in on a regular basis to a certain calf pen that would be a great place to setup for an ambush on em. Light up the area a little and just wait for them to come in. I personaly love calling them in but that's probably not the most efficient way to get rid of nucance yotes like you got there.

Good luck
Old 09-12-2006, 04:01 PM

If you know of any dog hunter around the area you may want to call them and let them know. I am a coyote hunter. I run them with dogs in the winter time and it some times is difficult to find tracks in the winter time. so you might want to get a hold of some one like that.

Quick Reply: Coyote problem

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.