Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Coyote Problem

Old 05-08-2009, 07:44 AM
Fork Horn

Default Coyote Problem

I just got a new piece of land to deer hunt. It looked like a nice little spot. It is about 3 acres of woods surrounded on all sides by large corn or bean fields. Everyone I had asked about it said they had seen some nice deer around this patch of woods in the past.Last week Iput up a game cam to see what was there. I checked the pictures yesterday. I had6 pictures on it and all of them were of coyotes (2 pictureshadmultiplecoyotes). My question is what is the best way to get rid of them quickly so the deer can start coming back. I have hunted them in the past and I have done a small amount of trapping (no luck though).
Old 05-08-2009, 08:24 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Coyote Problem

hunt and blast them

Old 05-08-2009, 08:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

You will never totally get rid of them. Deer and coyotes live side by side. They won't destroy your deer hunting. Coyotes make up a very small percentage of deer mortality. Coyotes are normally going to go for much smaller game, such as mice, squirrels, and rabbits. They will take fawns if given the chance.If your not an experienced trapper, you are wasting your time. You may kill a few by hunting them, but they will reproduce far faster than you can take them out. My advice is to take one when you see it and learn to live with them, because the deer have.
Old 05-08-2009, 08:35 AM
Dominant Buck

Go to the predator section of this site:

http://www.huntmdown.com/deerCalls.html

They have a good selection of calls, dekes, and lures to bring those pesky yotes to withing shotgun range. Once you start actively hunting them they'll quickly disappear, butbe consistant, come to the property at random with blasting a yote or two as your goal before leaving. If they're denning on your land, or adjacent land, find the dens and destroy them if it's legal. Shoot any female yotes on sight without mercy.
Old 05-08-2009, 11:16 AM
Dominant Buck

You will never get rid of them. They are probably the most adaptive animal we have in the USA. They can blend in with people and the only way to keep numbers low is to remove their food. In times of no food they don't reproduce much and that keeps them from over eating their food supply. In years when the rabbits, turkey and other small game is plentiful they have a bunch of pups. Mother nature is some smart cookie that way.
Old 05-08-2009, 02:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: superstrutter

You will never totally get rid of them. Deer and coyotes live side by side. They won't destroy your deer hunting. Coyotes make up a very small percentage of deer mortality. Coyotes are normally going to go for much smaller game, such as mice, squirrels, and rabbits. They will take fawns if given the chance. If your not an experienced trapper, you are wasting your time. You may kill a few by hunting them, but they will reproduce far faster than you can take them out. My advice is to take one when you see it and learn to live with them, because the deer have.
I 2nd everything superstrutter posted. Pike
Old 05-09-2009, 12:49 AM
Typical Buck

You can put a big dent in the pack. Right now they are hungry. Take every spare moment you have. Hang dead chickens at selected spots and take 500 rounds of a SKS or 223 and blast away. Last week I spent 3 hours everyday for 5 days sitting over chicken. They just kept coming back untill the pack was almost all gone. This time of year they will lay in wait for new born fawns. They will take them right out of the womb. I have a old useless camper on the property the yotes took up home in this year. Tell ya the camper looks like swiss cheese after I got done last week. The past 7 years have taken 71 yotes.And this year I have seen a dramatic drop in their population
Old 05-09-2009, 03:44 AM
Typical Buck

if its legal to bait coyotes i'd do it,now
Old 05-09-2009, 03:46 AM

where is this piece of land? Our family has about 130 acres of land in n.c. we are allowed to shoot coyotes year round because they are classifyed as pest. We also bait them and use callsto get them within the vincinity of our stands.
Hope this helps
Old 05-09-2009, 07:04 AM
Fork Horn

a good, natural, bait is road killed deer.. take one of them toss it in one of the fields, sit downwind from the carcas and watch the show begin..

Quick Reply: Coyote Problem

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.