Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Scopes and Sights
New Nikon scope problems or just me? >

New Nikon scope problems or just me?

Community
Scopes and Sights Discuss firearm scopes, sights and related accessories here.

New Nikon scope problems or just me?

Old 10-13-2013, 07:54 AM
Fork Horn

Default New Nikon scope problems or just me?

Hi Folks,
This is a duplicate post from a different forum here as I think I posted it incorrectly the first time.

I have a brand new Nikon Slughunter 3-9x40 mounted to a brand new remington 870 with a 23 inch slug barrel.
I'm firing Hornady SST 2-3/4 slugs.

Target range 50 yards.

I can't get the scope to zero.. I had it to the point were I was about 2 inches left and 2 inches below the target. The scope adjuster says 1MOA or 1/4 Inch per click at 100 yards.
So, being at 50 yards, I moved it 8 clicks up and 8 clicks right. That should translate to a 2 inch adjustment at 1/2 the distance right?

My point of impact is now almost 7 inches higher on the first shot and 6 higher and 3 right on the 2nd shot.
It moved up all right.. A long way up.

Faulty scope or did I do something wrong?
Old 10-13-2013, 10:37 AM
Spike

Murby, you are right in your calculations. The Slughunter scope you have is set for 1/4 inch adjustments at 100 yards or 8 clicks per inch at 5o as you said. How high is the mount ? I know this sounds general, have you checked the mount to make sure it is secure? Did you run out of adjustments or just give up because the rounds were inconsistant in their impact? I have used the Hornaday's and found them to be very good in rifled barrels. Run a bore brush down the barrel and make sure it is clean. I would then suggest shooting at 25 yards, a bit easier to dial in. Check out Spot On and see where it tells you you need to be for a 50 yard zero, then move to 50 yards.
If you can't get it down at 25 do you have another scope you can swap out to see if things are better? I had a similar incident happen last thur., we weren't getting accuracy we expected and guns owner said it was the scope, we swapped out the scope and no change in poor accuracy. Just trying to help you with variables. Please keep me informed and I will help you all that I can.
Bart
[email protected]
Old 10-13-2013, 11:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

1 MOA is 1.0473 per 100 yards so each click is .52365" or just over 1/2" at 50 yards so your adjustments moved it 4+" at 50.
RR
Old 10-13-2013, 04:08 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by bman940
Murby, How high is the mount ? I know this sounds general, have you checked the mount to make sure it is secure?
I'm using weaver grand slam steel rings that are 1 inch tall.. The front of my scope (the objective) is about 1/8 of an inch from touching my gun.. I have it mounted as low as it can go.

Did you run out of adjustments or just give up because the rounds were inconsistant in their impact?
I did not run out of adjustment. In fact, after the initial mount, it only required about 1/2 of a turn of the dial to get it in close at 20 yards. I have given up because the rounds are not impacting consistently.

I have used the Hornaday's and found them to be very good in rifled barrels.
My buddy says the same thing.. this is why I am using them.

Run a bore brush down the barrel and make sure it is clean.
Seriously? This gun has only fired about 15 rounds since I bought it three weeks ago!

I would then suggest shooting at 25 yards, a bit easier to dial in. Check out Spot On and see where it tells you you need to be for a 50 yard zero, then move to 50 yards.
If you can't get it down at 25 do you have another scope you can swap out to see if things are better? I had a similar incident happen last thur., we weren't getting accuracy we expected and guns owner said it was the scope, we swapped out the scope and no change in poor accuracy. Just trying to help you with variables. Please keep me informed and I will help you all that I can.
Bart
[email protected]
Ya, well my problem at this point is that these rounds are basically $3 every time I pull the trigger. I've already spent $45 messing with it.

Now an update:
I just discovered that the poly-tipped slug in my Hornady 2-3/4 SST shells are loose. Both boxes I have left are this way. If you shake the shell, you can feel the it rattle inside. If you put your finger on the red tip, you can move it around. The sabot is solid, the slug is moving inside the sabot. Is this normal???

Last edited by Murby; 10-13-2013 at 04:10 PM.
Old 10-13-2013, 05:34 PM
Spike

Not normal. Take them back to where you bought them and hopefully you will get a full refund and buy something else. Very strange indeed. No idea why,moisture,old, factory error? Hope the place you biught them from understands. I know they are expensive and sighting a slug gun in is zero fun! Everything else you have is top notch, you should expect some excellent accuracy and beleive me, a one shot stop!
I look forward to more info on the new ammo.
Chalk this one up to one more strange solution,hopefully!
Old 10-13-2013, 05:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Had a similar issue as you with my 870 scope. What I found out was the scope was mounted tight but when you shot a round the scope would move in the rings. You could try with your hand and it wouldn't budge. So had to remount the scope after putting rubber on the tube.
Old 10-13-2013, 06:30 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by bman940
Not normal. Take them back to where you bought them and hopefully you will get a full refund and buy something else.

I'm going to call Hornady in the morning Monday to see what they have to say..
Old 10-14-2013, 04:51 AM
Typical Buck

we just had 2 scopes on the range Saturday
Nikon 4x14x50 with BDC (parallax)
Leopold VX1 3x7 Adjustment) back wards and would not hold point of aim
both were bad out of the box
Old 10-14-2013, 05:36 AM
Spike

Default Scopes

Lone, I have seen on occasion where the parallax doesn't line up exactly on 100 and might have to be turned a bit more or less.
I hope that is all it is with your scope ?
Old 10-14-2013, 07:11 AM
Fork Horn

UPDATE: I just called Hornady and spoke with a tech about the issue. The facts so far are as follows:

1) They are claiming that a small bit of movement "rattle" is normal.

2) I informed them that I can load up my buddies SST rounds, which are from a 4 year old lot number, and they fly straight and make clovers at 50 yards. His 4 year old slugs are tight and have absolutely no movement inside the sabot or shell.

3) I informed them that the rounds I purchased are making 12 to 16 inch diameter (6 to 8 inch radius) groups at 54 measured yards.

4) They are sending me a pre-paid UPS Shipping label so that I can return some boxes and some empty shells to them for testing. Testing is a bit backlogged and can take up to 3 weeks but should be done sooner.

5) I asked the following questions and DID NOT receive definitive answers: a) If the slug is loose and wobbling inside the sabot, how can the rifling impart positive spin if it is slipping? b) If the slug is loose and wobbling, and the tip of the slug exits the barrel and or the sabot at slightly different angles due to the wobbling, how is it possible that it could fly the same way for each round?

When I called Hornady, the wait time to get to a tech was almost zero. They picked up the phone pretty darn quickly and the guy tried to answer my questions the best he could.

I'm going to be very interested to see what happens here.. I've blown quite a bit of money on ammo and am discouraged at the unreliability of my expensive toy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.