Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Scopes and Sights
New Nikon scope problems or just me? >

New Nikon scope problems or just me?

Scopes and Sights Discuss firearm scopes, sights and related accessories here.

New Nikon scope problems or just me?

Old 10-14-2013, 07:17 AM
Spike

I went out and pushed on some of my sabots and they are seated quite solidly. Keep us posted. Don't fret, you'll get your "toy" dialed in soon enough. Hopefully Hornaday will make it right for you.
Old 10-16-2013, 03:21 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Murby
My buddy says the same thing.. this is why I am using them.
2) I informed them that I can load up my buddies SST rounds, which are from a 4 year old lot number, and they fly straight and make clovers at 50 yards.
Which is it, you reference your buddy saying they shoot good then tell the Hornady rep that they shoot good in your gun? I think you're going in the wrong direction here. If it was my firearm, I'd take the following steps: 1) clean the bore 2) pull and remount scope 3) try a different ammo. If these didn't correct issue, I'd 4) try another scope. If problem still persists, have to next determine if it's you or the firearm?
Old 10-16-2013, 08:08 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Wayspr
Which is it, you reference your buddy saying they shoot good then tell the Hornady rep that they shoot good in your gun? I think you're going in the wrong direction here. If it was my firearm, I'd take the following steps: 1) clean the bore 2) pull and remount scope 3) try a different ammo. If these didn't correct issue, I'd 4) try another scope. If problem still persists, have to next determine if it's you or the firearm?
I think you missed something.. My buddy has hornady rounds from 4 years ago and they shoot fine in my gun.. They DO NOT rattle or move in the sabot..

The new Hornady rounds I just bought do not shoot well in my gun.. they rattle in inside their case (inside the sabot) when you shake them. Others on the internet have also complained about it.

Does it affect accuracy? I don't see how it wouldn't.. If I can use my finger and move the point of the slug back and forth over 1 to 2 millimeters inside the sabot that is inside the shell casing, I don't see how they could remain accurate.

That said, if Hornady comes back and says the shells work fine, I might take your advice next and remount the scope..
Old 10-17-2013, 05:28 AM
Spike

I heard back from Hornady last night, they said they are working woth Murby to get this all straightened out. They are trying to figure out how this happened is my guess. At least a dialog has started so surely more to come.
Old 10-18-2013, 02:58 AM
Typical Buck

I think you missed something.. My buddy has hornady rounds from 4 years ago and they shoot fine in my gun.. They DO NOT rattle or move in the sabot..

That said, if Hornady comes back and says the shells work fine, I might take your advice next and remount the scope..
Nope, didn't miss anything. Please show me where you posted that you had fired different ammo in your gun other than when you told the Hornady rep that. Also, if other ammo does shoot well and consisitent, why would you even consider remounting?

On a separate note, I have seen bullets that were loose in the sabot that shot fine. As the sabot is forced into the rifling, it squeezes the bullet eliminating any movement and thus imparting spin.

I stand by my earlier post but am interested to hear the final outcome.
Old 10-18-2013, 07:39 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Wayspr
Nope, didn't miss anything. Please show me where you posted that you had fired different ammo in your gun other than when you told the Hornady rep that. Also, if other ammo does shoot well and consisitent, why would you even consider remounting?
Looks like I'm going to have to go back and reconsider my decisions in trying to diagnose this issue.
Old 10-18-2013, 10:02 AM
Spike

I agree a different ammo would be a good place to start. Then check how the scope is mounted.
Old 11-03-2013, 09:48 PM
Typical Buck

We had a hell of a time sighting in my cousin's slug gun once... went through 4 boxes of ssts before I noticed slide marks on the scope tube... and I asked him if they were there before... and he said no...

Went & remounted the scope... and had it shooting clovers at 100yds in short order...

And just fyi... if you have a Dicks sporting goods around... they have ssts on sale for $9.98 a box!!!