HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - New Nikon scope problems or just me?
View Single Post
Old 10-13-2013, 04:08 PM
Murby
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by bman940
Murby, How high is the mount ? I know this sounds general, have you checked the mount to make sure it is secure?
I'm using weaver grand slam steel rings that are 1 inch tall.. The front of my scope (the objective) is about 1/8 of an inch from touching my gun.. I have it mounted as low as it can go.

Did you run out of adjustments or just give up because the rounds were inconsistant in their impact?
I did not run out of adjustment. In fact, after the initial mount, it only required about 1/2 of a turn of the dial to get it in close at 20 yards. I have given up because the rounds are not impacting consistently.

I have used the Hornaday's and found them to be very good in rifled barrels.
My buddy says the same thing.. this is why I am using them.

Run a bore brush down the barrel and make sure it is clean.
Seriously? This gun has only fired about 15 rounds since I bought it three weeks ago!

I would then suggest shooting at 25 yards, a bit easier to dial in. Check out Spot On and see where it tells you you need to be for a 50 yard zero, then move to 50 yards.
If you can't get it down at 25 do you have another scope you can swap out to see if things are better? I had a similar incident happen last thur., we weren't getting accuracy we expected and guns owner said it was the scope, we swapped out the scope and no change in poor accuracy. Just trying to help you with variables. Please keep me informed and I will help you all that I can.
Bart
[email protected]
Ya, well my problem at this point is that these rounds are basically $3 every time I pull the trigger. I've already spent $45 messing with it.

Now an update:
I just discovered that the poly-tipped slug in my Hornady 2-3/4 SST shells are loose. Both boxes I have left are this way. If you shake the shell, you can feel the it rattle inside. If you put your finger on the red tip, you can move it around. The sabot is solid, the slug is moving inside the sabot. Is this normal???

Last edited by Murby; 10-13-2013 at 04:10 PM.