Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
Reloading 3.5 shot shells >

Reloading 3.5 shot shells

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Reloading 3.5 shot shells

Old 02-05-2002, 08:22 AM

Default Reloading 3.5 shot shells

I am looking into reloading shotgun shells but i dont know much about it ive reloaded rifle ammo before but not shotgun shells.
Can anyone tell me who makes a 3.5 reloader and how difficult it is to make a good load that shoots well thanks for any advise
Old 02-05-2002, 08:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Reloading 3.5 shot shells

When you consider how many of these you will shoot, the cost of reloading equipment, and the quality of factory loads, I don't think it's worth it to reload 3.5 inch shells.
It would be difficult to duplicate some of the good factory loads.
Old 02-06-2002, 06:35 AM

makes sence thanks
Old 02-12-2002, 05:34 PM

I've been looking into this myself as non-steel, non-toxic loads are very pricey. Look at Bismuth or Hevi-Shot where the 3.5" shells run in the excess of $20 for 10 shells. Ouch. I've been working up the math and the shells could be reloaded for about $1.15 a shell for Hevi-shot. Again this isn't cheap but its about 1/2 price. I realize that you still have to purchase the reloader, so it will take about a case (10 25 shell boxes) to actually get all of your monies worth. So in essense if you're going to shoot just a box or two a year than buy them off the shelf.
Some of my buddies in our duck club are going in together to purchase the necessary supplies as each of us shoots at least a case each year.
Now regarding the question posed... The Steelmaster from MEC will do 3.5 with no problem and for another $28 you can get the converter which will allow you to work on 2 3/4" and 3" shells. The press is under $200 but isn't a progressive loader. Meaning you can't load shells nearly as fast. I talked to the support at MEC and the said there aren't any plans to make a progressive 3.5" loader. Darn
Old 02-13-2002, 05:53 PM
Fork Horn

For hunting loads the Mec Size master or Steelmaster are the best deas around. The Steelmaster is nothing more than a Size master with a oversized shot drop tube and of course the steel shot bar. Now that larger drop tube is worth having as with shot larger than #5 they will bridge in the standard loaders drop tube. Then if you didn't notice it has happened when you index the shell ahead any little vibration will cause a shot spill. Trust me, I know, I've done it enough times.

Part of the satisfaction of loading is in custom loads to fit the performance needs of anything you may be doing. Savings are nice to when they happen, but I like loading for loads that may not save much but provide a slight edge for me in my shooting.