Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Questions concerning reloading 12 GA shells >

Questions concerning reloading 12 GA shells

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Questions concerning reloading 12 GA shells

Old 01-28-2008, 07:14 AM
Typical Buck

Default Questions concerning reloading 12 GA shells

I do some reloading with rifle cartridges but I've never reloaded any shotgun shells. I'll admit why I'm interested is because the price of 12 GA shells just keeps going up and up and I figured if I'm paying that much for them maybe I can justify reloading.

With a new progressive loader how long does it take to load 100 rounds?
With the current cost of components, about how much do you have in 100 rounds?
What progressive loader do you recommend?
Can I just use any hulls for reloading?

Sorry if I'm asking to many questions!

Thanks
Old 01-28-2008, 08:25 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Questions concerning reloading 12 GA shells

ORIGINAL: lovethebigguns

I do some reloading with rifle cartridges but I've never reloaded any shotgun shells. I'll admit why I'm interested is because the price of 12 GA shells just keeps going up and up and I figured if I'm paying that much for them maybe I can justify reloading.

With a new progressive loader how long does it take to load 100 rounds?
With the current cost of components, about how much do you have in 100 rounds?
What progressive loader do you recommend?
Can I just use any hulls for reloading?

Sorry if I'm asking to many questions!

Thanks
I have a older MEC progressive reloader that is a single stage and I can turn out 100 rounds in about 30-40min.

I'm not that familliar with the new reloaders for shotguns so I can't be much help but I really like the MEC that I have and I've been using it for about 20 years.

It's hard to say how much is in each round because different loads cost different things. The most expensive component is the shot, then powder. You can load 3/4 oz, 7/8 oz, 1 oz, 1 1/8 oz and 1 1/4 oz loads so depending on what you are loading will dictate how much it costs to reload.

I've found that with lower power birdshot you don't really save a whole lot...but if you are reloading steel shot or something like that you could save quite a bit...

It is possible to reload any hull, but some hulls have a 6 point crimp and some have a 12 point crimp. Some have low brass some have high brass..etc etc. I mainly reload shells used for skeet and upland bird hunting because I can make a load that is faster and hits harder than anything you can buy. I'm partial to Winchester AA hulls because they are well made and last several reloads, and they have the 12 point crimp
Old 01-28-2008, 10:06 AM
Typical Buck

Man speyrjb, THANKS!

I appreciate you putting the time in that answer.

A couple more ???

Are the 12 point crimped hulls better?
How much do you spend on average for your skeet loads per 100?

Would you mind sharing your "recipe?"
Old 01-28-2008, 02:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Can't speak for speyrib, but this is the load I used for trap shooting for many years... AA hulls-Rem. RXP wads-17.5 gr. 700X - Win. 209 primers. Gave 1 1/8 oz. of 7 1/2 or #8's. I always perferred 7 1/2 shot, myself----
I'm just not up on component prices for shotshell reloading these days, but I understand shot in particular is a bit pricey right now.
Did all my loading on a 650 MEC. Just to give you an idea how much time has gone by since then, I do remember I paid $72 to have the brand new MEC delivered to my door. Time flies when you're having fun.......
Old 01-28-2008, 03:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

That is a great price for a MEC 650!
I started reloading on a 650 when I was 14 (the local store would not sell me ammo but would sell powder, primers lead and wads!)
Old 01-28-2008, 04:24 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: lovethebigguns

Man speyrjb, THANKS!

I appreciate you putting the time in that answer.

A couple more ???

Are the 12 point crimped hulls better?
How much do you spend on average for your skeet loads per 100?

Would you mind sharing your "recipe?"

Couple points. There are three basic crimp styles. There is a 6 point, which is used more on 3" loads. Then there is the 8 point, which is used mostly on 2-3/4" loads. Then there is the roll crimp, which can be used on any of them.

Winchester AA hulls used to be considered the best, but they changed them about 5 years ago. They are still pretty decent.

I consider Federal gold medals to be the best hulls, followed by Reminton Nitro gold/sts hulls. You used to be able to buy them to reload on Ebay cheaper than you could shoot factory but now Ebay is turning communist.

As for saving money reloading shotgun shells, and recipes, get a free reloaders pamphlet from one of the powder makers, alliant or hodgdon, and calculate your price per box compared to factory. There is also a website somewhere that does this. Then decide if it is worth your time.

Old 01-28-2008, 07:00 PM
Fork Horn

Yeah, I still have bags and bags of the old style AA hulls.....didn't know they changed...

Yes, I suppose it is a 8 point crimp versus a 12 point crimp...sorry it's been a while since I actually paid attention to that stuff...gotbags of hulls, bags of wads and just a couple of powders that I reload with....

My favorite loads for 12ga is with Hogdon Clays powder and a 1 oz load using #9 shot for skeet , and a 1 1/4 oz load #8fordoves and quail. I forget the powder bushing # or the wad type but I'll try to look to see...my shotgun reloading stuff is put up at the moment in the attic...but will be coming down pretty soon since deer season is overwith.

I really like the Clays powder because it's really clean.
Old 01-31-2008, 06:27 PM
Boone & Crockett

Hey buddy before you go jumping into the loading of shotshells you may want to check the price of shot. It has gotten pretty expensive since I loaded. I don't shoot as much shotgun now as I used to - thank goodness. I think shot is up to around $28 for 25 lb. maybe more.