Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
Big game bullets >

Big game bullets

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Big game bullets

Old 02-12-2002, 10:16 PM

Default Big game bullets

Greets,
I know this topic has been pounded in one way or another, so I apologies for reopening it.
That said, I WAS planning to use Nosler ballistic tips exclusively, 30-06 caliber, and 165gr. I have witnessed devastating results on deer with it (specifically the wichester factory loaded ballistic silvertips). But I have read way too many posts about marginal penetration and bullet fragmentation problems with that one. So my question is this, I will be loading a general big game bullet, to be used on everything I hunt, that includes black tail and mule deer, Elk, black bear and cougar.
I may have seen this round devastate a deer, but my experience may be the exception and I want something that will drop an elk in its tracks or soon there too, (with a proper hit of course ) and yet not do too much meat damage to a deer.

Again, sorry to reopen an old topic, but I wanted a strait from the hip response that doesnt need to be interpreted a dozen ways.
Old 02-12-2002, 10:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Big game bullets

I have seen elk dropped in their tracks but doing it on a regular basis is a tall order for any cartridge let alone the 30-06.The last two elk I killed dropped in their tracks but two animals is far from a guarantee that it will happen all the time.The bullet I used for those two bulls was the 180 gr ballistic tip but it was driven at nearly 3400 fps out of my 300 ultramag.Both shots were heart lung shots and internal damage was considerably more than I have seen any other bullet cause even though both bullets exited.
Old 02-13-2002, 12:22 AM

ADUI 13,
I know several hunters that shoot the Nosler 165 grain Partition bullet at everything. If I am loading that bullet I'll usually reduce bullet weight by one step. Instead of using the 180 grain bullet on elk, I'll step down to the 165 grain. I have found that this bullet will give me the penetration that a 180 grain non-premium will give. The 165 will give me a slightly better trajectory and perform better on a 30 to 50 yard shots that do come along occasionally. About the only time I'll load a 150 grain bullet is if I'm going after antelope. The main reason that the Ballistic Tip bullet is so destructive is that it was not designed or intended for close range use on game. Its fragile design and boatail was intended for use at 150 yards and further. I hope that this is of some help. Good luck.
Old 02-13-2002, 05:22 AM

for the 06', it's hard to beat the Nosler Partition 165 grain as an all around big game bullet...
Old 02-13-2002, 11:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Barnes X, Nosler Partition, Swift A-Frame, Trophy Bonded Bear Claw, or Winchester Fail Safe. Good Luck.
Old 02-14-2002, 01:59 AM

Greets again,
Thanks to you all, I will probably try the nosler partition, as I am passingly familiar with its effect as well. Again thanks, and I will probably have more questions for you all!! *G*