Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

On the fence.

Old 11-02-2011, 04:09 AM
Spike

Default On the fence.

After cruising the forums I thought this might be a good place to ask this question. I have shot 150 gr. remington express core lokt for 10 years out of my Remington 760 in .308.This year I am baffled as the older stuff puts them in there to 1.25" at one hundred yards as always. I bought 2 new boxes and they wont group any better than 5" at a hundred. I put the old back in without ever touching the rifle and its dead on. I am familiar with the different lot numbers but wow 5" ? I am finally going to purchase a high end rifle next year. Probably in .270 win and I want to get all I can out of it. So here's the question, Is that common for factory loads to vary that much? if so I need to buy a press pronto. Any input is appreciated. I am very new to most of this as I have never been able to use my .308 here in N.Y. for Deer until this year. Heck my Ihaca Shotgun can beat 5" at a hundred yards. I should add, the rifle shoots them all around the bull, nowhere in particular just 2.5" out of dead center to either side, up, or down. Thanks Doug.
Old 11-02-2011, 04:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you want consistency start loading your own otherwise your at the mercy of ammo makers.I use the Lee hand press and my first loads in 2 out of 3 rifles produced tighter groups than any factory loads.
Old 11-02-2011, 04:58 AM
Fork Horn

Yep, hand loading is the way to go for accuracy and consistency. That said, I've had fairly good luck with the Federal Power Shok ammo for factory ammo in most cases.
Old 11-04-2011, 02:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Well newbie you have a problem

Remember, there are manufacturing problems that arise; reloading problems also arise.

First, I'd check a few things, as a reloader, while also contacting the company. I'm sure they would be interested. It might not be your problem alone. They might have just found the problem, if it's on their end.

I'd measure the COL, cartridge overall length, to see if it fit my rifle, the bore of which I had previously measured. Then I'd use my bullet puller and pull a bullet out of a cartridge, and see how many grains of powder, the best I could, and the type of powder put into the case, by the manufacturer. Then I might be able to come up with some preliminary findings before contacting the cartridge manufacturer. But I have manufacturing experience, so I think the way I do.

Is reloading for everyone. That's an entirely different question. Of course, not. It's separate from hunting. Some like the new hobby of reloading, and some don't. Some have the opportunity and the time. It would mean more range time.
And yes, some might just want to take on additional costs just to "roll their own bullets."

Is reloading for everyone? No and it depends on the individual.

As an old accountant, I'd ask you to divide the cost of the number of cartridges you now fire each year, into the estimated cost of the reloading equipment, to come up with an initial figure on the years it could take to reach the break-even point. In other words, if you were going to spend $500 on reloading equipment, how long did it take you to spend $500 on ammunition? Two years, five years, ten years!!!!

That accounting cost break analysis has saved me a ton of money over the years. It made it easier to decide what I did and what was better left to others to do.
But then I'm not a newbie.
Old 11-04-2011, 04:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well you really don't need to spend much to produce top quality loads.I got started for under 100 beans.A big plus is the added versatility it provides.You can tailor your loads for anything from small varmints to most any big game critters.Light loads for kids to max loads for long range or whatever.I only wish I got started sooner.
Old 11-04-2011, 09:44 PM
Spike

Default Thanks Guys

I appreciate the information. I am also a muzzleloader so I fully understand how a few grains here or there can make a BIG difference. I have been hesitant about reloading because of all the other stuff I'm into. Archery, muzzleloading, Turkey and big Whitetails to name a few. Let alone Family and work. Also that's an excellent point as to the cost. Other than rimfire and black powder I may shoot 50 bucks a year worth of factory ammo. I am a perfectionist when it comes to my guns though. I think what I will do is buy some Hornady, Federal, and some other premium factory ammo and try it, then if its better get as much of the same lot as I can. If I'm not satisfied I have a couple of friends that may want to split the cost of some equipment. Again thanks for the replies. Doug.