Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

annealing brass

Old 11-07-2011, 04:20 PM
Fork Horn

Default annealing brass

how many of you guys anneal your brass and how do you do it? I've seen a few companys that make a kit, but ive read some people just use a porpane torch in water an tip them over. I've been reloading for about 10 years and have never done it. how much long do your cases last?
Old 11-07-2011, 11:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Your cases will last longer because you are not work hardening the brass by sizing and firing it. The annealing retuns the malleability to the brass. But another good reason to anneal is that it gives you a more accurate load by making your neck tension more consistent.

Google annealing and you will get several different ways of doing it.

But the most important thing is not to get your brass too hot. And you do not need to water quench the brass at the end of the process. The reason most people put their cases in water is so they can assure themselves that they did not get the web of the brass too hot. You don't want the lower part of your brass to weaken by getting too hot. Tom.
Old 11-08-2011, 03:49 AM
Boone & Crockett

i used to anneal cases. Did it by holding the case by the base and turning the neck slowly in a candle flame. When the case got too hot to hold it was dumped in water. Now i have a plentiful supply of free cases and never anneal.
Old 11-11-2011, 01:05 PM
BTM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by falcon
i used to anneal cases. Did it by holding the case by the base and turning the neck slowly in a candle flame. When the case got too hot to hold it was dumped in water. Now i have a plentiful supply of free cases and never anneal.
Ditto! I was mystified by annealing and avoided it for many years until I tried the candle method. Works great and greatly extends case life. Wish I'd done it decades ago!