Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
Anyone have an opinion on custom load development services? >

Anyone have an opinion on custom load development services?

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Anyone have an opinion on custom load development services?

Old 12-29-2016, 02:51 AM
Typical Buck

I have often thought about doing custom loading for people as a service. If you were starting from scratch with unknown rifle charateristics $395.00 isn't even the tip of the iceberg your going to spend if you don't already have brass, dies, multiple powders and bullets already in that caliber. Just one of my custom guns went through over $200 in premium bullet selections to find the perfect bullet it liked and I think I was lucky keeping it under $200.00 in bullets. Talk about smoking stuff is for those that truly don't know what a .5 MOA means all the way to 1000 + yards. It's not for those with the close enough attitude. Not trying to sound like a reloading snob but there are so many variables that you either get lucky right off the bat or your going to spend some money.

I reload because theres no comparison between what I produce and what you buy at walmart. Just sayin.
Old 12-29-2016, 03:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

$395 would not even cover the liability insurance for 3 months.

Al
Old 12-29-2016, 03:45 AM
Typical Buck

You got that right Al.
Old 12-29-2016, 09:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Been reloading for more years than most you kids have been alive. Was wildcattin back in the late 50's! Yes I know this is an old thread but it kinda deserved some responses to the new responses. $395 wouldn't even get you in the doorway of my shop! For basic hunting rounds yeah, but for precision matched loads to a particular rifle MOST of the time takes some serious work and patience and most of all,,TIME! As BlackElk put it, making 1/2 MOA cartridges for a particular rifle will most of the time have you pulling your hair out and no sir, custom rifles are no exception to that rule. Almost all rifles have a particular load they like to eat the best and sometimes finding that combination can be more frustrating than an old Italian woman! Sure you will sometimes run across a rifle that will digest anything you throw in it with exceptional accuracy but those are some RARE rifles! One of my old 110 .30-06 Savages is one of those rare puppies. Hell, I worked hard trying to find a load it DIDN'T like! Finally found one, hot loaded 220gr RN would only hold a 2" 5 shot group at 100. Dropped 2 grains on the charge and BINGO..right back to just under an inch!

Reloading for 1-1.5 hunting rifles and handguns is one thing. Making match quality ammo for 1/2MOA comp rifles is a whole other world of hurt if you are the least bit impatient.