Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
Anyone have an opinion on custom load development services? >

Anyone have an opinion on custom load development services?

Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Anyone have an opinion on custom load development services?

Old 10-13-2010, 11:19 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Dr. Killdeer
SKB...

Again, I tried the scope swap (see previous post), and had the gun checked and rechecked at the gunsmith -- even got a second opinion from another 'smith...

That's why I went with the custom load route.

I shopped around a bit (several firms advertise custom load development -- you can look them up online), and found that Hendershot's had the best price at $395...

So far, they have:

-- Taken note of my particular issue and feedback on the gun, asked me questions about the history of the rifle, along with standard questions about the scope, etc.

-- Extensively noted what types of game I hunt with the gun, at what ranges, and what my preferences are with regard to bullet performance.

-- Thoroughly scoped the bore and inspected the rifle to check for things like scope mount problems, stock contact, loose action screws, trigger issues, etc., and reported their findings back to me (no obvious impediments to accuracy found, bore in excellent shape).

Right now, my rifle is in range-test mode. According to Lance Hendershot, who runs the store, loads are being worked up and tested, with cleaning as needed between groups. I'm expecting to hear back from them next week...

I'm not sure whether they pay the return shipping on guns they work up loads for -- I drove the 2 hours to their store to drop mine off, and I'll go to pick it up when it's done...

But I'm sure you can find out on their site -- it's pretty nice-looking. Very high-end.

I'm actually pretty excited to see how it shoots when I get it back with some ammo.

J
Seems maybe I would ask for feedback before I purchased this service. Sounds like to me you went ahead and paid out the fee now you are trying to justify it to yourself. Hope the service works out for you. I am sure its upsetting to spend hard earned money on a custom gun and not have it perform to your expectations. That being said, good luck and keep us posted to your experience with the service you have purchased.
Old 10-13-2010, 11:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

You are the only one that can decide if its worth it. Being a long time handloader, as me and some of these other guys are obviously we look at load development from a different angle. Its part of what we do. I have done it for 3-4 different friends primarily for varmint/prairie dog rifles. All I got was some powder, primers and bullets out of the deal. I am surprised with what you have into the gun that it doesn't shoot much better and thru the years I have been very lucky in that I had little trouble finding laods that shot good (at least to my standards) in factory rifles.
Old 10-13-2010, 06:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thumbs up

To Mr. Deer Hunter,

A man posts for the very first time to multiple forums, looking for honest feedback and advice, and you belittle him, suggest that he's high on dope, and accuse him of shilling...

Yep, a real ambassador for our sport, you are.

I shouldn't even dignify your post with a reply, but some of your assumptions and assertions are so stupefying that I just have to set you straight.

There's a "dope" involved in this discussion, all right. But it isn't in any pipe of mine. To briefly clarify for you:

1) What optic I have mounted (Nikon Monarch 3-12SF in Leupold 2-piece bases) on the gun is completely irrelevant to the problem, since it was the very first thing I ruled out. I swapped out the scope with a Leupold VX-III I had on another gun, a fine shooter. No difference in groups. And the Nikon sighted in and shot "the square" perfectly on my other gun...

2) The specifics of the variety of high-end factory loads I shot from the gun are similarly irrelevant to my problem, since my post clearly said that I'd already decided to try custom load development -- I was simply looking for feedback from others who have tried these kinds of services for their rifles (not that I've gotten any of this from ANYONE yet)...

3) In the parlance (that means "lingo," Mr. Deer Hunter) of our sport, "7MM Magnum," lacking other qualifiers like "ultra" or "Weatherby," means the venerable 7MM Remington Magnum.

4) As for "smoking dope" for not spending my $395 on a complete reloading setup instead of custom load development, I'd suggest you review your own smoking habits -- because clearly they're affecting your ability to read and retain information. I clearly wrote in my post that I'd rather NOT reload. And that even if I did want to reload, going from 0-60 -- getting set up with equipment, doing the reading, putting together dozens of experimental loads, and testing them all -- between now and opening day was a low-percentage proposition. I have this thing called a "job," you see. For me, reloading time right now would come at the expense of bowhunting time...

5) Your statement that "The goal of the reloader is not always to produce a cheap round, but to produce a round that works best in your rifle," is a complete non-sequitur (that means a statement with no relevance or context to the discussion at hand). Who said anything about shooting cheap? My post clearly states that I've been shooting premium factory loads, and that I wouldn't hesitate to plunk down $395 for customized ammunition development. What part of that expresses or implies a desire to find accuracy on the cheap?

Beyond this, if you have anything meaningful to contribute to my original request for opinions and feedback about customized load development, I welcome it...

But your insulting, uninformed reply to an employed, sincere hunter who has put his hard-earned money into pursuing wild game on both sides of the equator wastes the time of this entire community.

J
Dang. Dr., I'm going to have to check the family genealogy. I think we're long lost brothers separated at birth. LOL!

iSnipe
Old 12-26-2016, 02:36 PM
Spike

Default 7mm mag Custom Load

I do custom loads I would need the twist rate of your barrel ...Deleted by CalHunter...

Last edited by CalHunter; 12-27-2016 at 08:06 AM. Reason: Rule # 7--3-Day Temp Ban
Old 12-26-2016, 02:49 PM
Spike

Smile Custom Loads

I seen what you posted about price in my shop I don't charge nearly that for load development. I go about it a much cheaper route give me your twist rate and I can pretty much figure everything out with that. I have a really good load already that we tested and it's Shooting flat out to 300 yards.
Give me a shout if I may be of any assistance
Old 12-26-2016, 03:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

Welcome newbie! This thread is six years old and those guys are long gone from here and will never read your posts and FYI advertising is only allowed in the Classified Section on this website.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 12-26-2016 at 04:01 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-26-2016, 04:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I’m posting this letter to a number of similar forums in hopes of getting some quick feedback on a question about custom load development...

First some background: I’ve got a custom rifle (my first such) built by a local gunsmith with an excellent reputation. It’s a 7MM Magnum with a Hart stainless barrel, built on a Remington 700 ADL action that’s been trued, lapped, triggered, and bedded in a laminated factory stock.

The problem is that it’s not terribly fond of any factory ammo that I’ve fed it. I’m not shooting junk, either — I’ve tried numerous kinds of Hornady, Federal Premium, and high-end Remington in various bullet weights and configurations...

I’m a good shot, with solid experience behind rifles of all kinds, from .17HMR up to .458 Lott. I’ve never felt the need to reload, because I can generally put together fine groups with any gun I’ve ever owned, after a little tinkering with factory rounds.

But with this gun, I’m struggling to get inside of 1.5 - 2 inches. I’ve gone over it with a fine-toothed comb: The action’s properly torqued into the stock, and fully floated. And I clean the barrel to bare metal using Butch’s Bore Shine and Shooter’s Choice every 10 - 12 shots, so I’m certain it’s not a fouling issue...

Anyway, I need something accurate to hunt with this season. And a shop I’ve had good dealings with for 20 years (Hendershot’s Sporting Goods in Han****, MD) is now offering their own line of “Extreme Custom Ammunition” that’s comparable in price to factory premium rounds...

They sell it pre-loaded by the box, but I’ve decided to have them develop a load specifically for my gun — a service they offer for $395. Turnaround time’s pretty quick, too. A couple of weeks, so they tell me.

I figure that’s at least as cheap as me buying all the reloading stuff and attempting to nail down a load that works on my own (which I don’t really want to do anyway).

Can anyone tell me what to expect from this type of service? I know there are numerous outfits that advertise custom load development for individual rifles...

Anybody care to share some stories about their results with such a process?

Thanks,

J
I've never had a rifle built but would think the Smith that built it would help out especially if he guaranteed a certain group size ? Maybe a friend that reloads can help ?
Old 12-26-2016, 05:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by muzzlestuffer
I've never had a rifle built but would think the Smith that built it would help out especially if he guaranteed a certain group size ? Maybe a friend that reloads can help ?
This thread is older than dirt and the people on it haven't been back for 3 or more years.
Old 12-27-2016, 05:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

You for got the head slap Top

Al
Old 12-27-2016, 06:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
This thread is older than dirt and the people on it haven't been back for 3 or more years.
Oops I didn't notice !! Lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.