HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Anyone have an opinion on custom load development services?
Old 12-29-2016, 09:53 AM
super_hunt54
Nontypical Buck

Been reloading for more years than most you kids have been alive. Was wildcattin back in the late 50's! Yes I know this is an old thread but it kinda deserved some responses to the new responses. $395 wouldn't even get you in the doorway of my shop! For basic hunting rounds yeah, but for precision matched loads to a particular rifle MOST of the time takes some serious work and patience and most of all,,TIME! As BlackElk put it, making 1/2 MOA cartridges for a particular rifle will most of the time have you pulling your hair out and no sir, custom rifles are no exception to that rule. Almost all rifles have a particular load they like to eat the best and sometimes finding that combination can be more frustrating than an old Italian woman! Sure you will sometimes run across a rifle that will digest anything you throw in it with exceptional accuracy but those are some RARE rifles! One of my old 110 .30-06 Savages is one of those rare puppies. Hell, I worked hard trying to find a load it DIDN'T like! Finally found one, hot loaded 220gr RN would only hold a 2" 5 shot group at 100. Dropped 2 grains on the charge and BINGO..right back to just under an inch!

Reloading for 1-1.5 hunting rifles and handguns is one thing. Making match quality ammo for 1/2MOA comp rifles is a whole other world of hurt if you are the least bit impatient.