Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

35 whelen...

Old 02-13-2010, 08:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default 35 whelen...

so i just got my remington 7600 in 35 whelen...

and im ready to start reloading for the first time in my life...with this rifle, its practically a must if your going to shoot it...no way im paying 30$ for corelokts or 50$ for a good bullet...

got everything just waiting on my dies and they should be here early next week...

going to start with R15 and 225gr accubonds....really hoping the accubonds shoot well as they seem like the perfect bullet for my needs...which are deer and black bear..chose the powder because it seems to be the fan favorite for the whelen from all ive read...

range will be 5-150yds or so...typically 30-50yds...bear can be 30-800+lbs..part of bear hunting in PA is you never know what size bear you'll encounter...

i just wanted a fast handling rifle and a heavy hitter..the whelen and accubonds should be just that...

anyone shoot the whelen?? anyone have any loads they like??
Old 02-14-2010, 04:23 AM
Boone & Crockett

accubonds are great bullets, but at whelen velocities they really aren't needed, typical cup/core bullets will do nicely on deer and bear and are cheaper.

+1

I reload the .35 Whelen and the .35 Whelen Improved. The 250 grain Speer Hot-Cor spitzer is a very good bullet: It works just as well on big boar hogs as the 250 grain Nosler Partition at less than half the price. That bullet will also work well on black bears. It is probably overkill for use on whitetail deer but at $18.00 for 50 from Natchez the price is right. The 225 grain Sierra Pro-Hunter is another good bullet for the .35 Whelen.

Last edited by falcon; 02-14-2010 at 04:26 AM.
Old 02-14-2010, 06:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

My bullet of choice for woods ranges is the 250 gr Hornady RN, the SP would be a good choice as well. Fed 210 primers sitting on top of 52.7 gr of I4064 give me 1" groups @ 100 yds. CCI primers the charge is 53.2.
Old 02-16-2010, 07:23 AM
Typical Buck

+1 Falcon. I really like the 250 gr speer. I puts a big hole in deer.
Old 02-17-2010, 12:42 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by thndrchiken
My bullet of choice for woods ranges is the 250 gr Hornady RN, the SP would be a good choice as well. Fed 210 primers sitting on top of 52.7 gr of I4064 give me 1" groups @ 100 yds. CCI primers the charge is 53.2.
The 225gr Accubond is not that expensive as any 358 bullets cost due to weight, Much better than the sierra 225gr BT. I holds its core something I can not say for the gameking.

If cost is esentcial the 220gr speer hot core FN is just fine for what he wants to do.

He took over Volks Wagon and did massive goverment spendding. Progressives in thw US modeled them selfes after what turned out to be the facists.????????
Old 02-17-2010, 08:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

thanx guys...

im actually content with the accubond...anything that leaves a big hole in deer aint for me when i got an 800lb bear of a lifetime in my crosshairs and a hunter 100yds down the ridge...thats why i chose the accubond...expands quick but once its expanded, its done and coming out pretty much whole...from everything ive read it sounds like it does just that...

bear hunting in PA you never know if its gunna be a 30lb cub or 800lb boar...and theres a tonnnn of guys around...i need a bullet that will get the job done...but want something that expands and still does some damage as well...

i could care less if the accubonds sizzle right through a deer...its gunna die just as quick as any...

actually went to the range today...shot 10 over 55gr of R15...and 9 over 57.5gr of R15...

rem brass, 210m primer...

57.5 kinda impressed me...55 was hardly a group and it wasnt shooter error...

im in love with the gun (rem 7600) and caliber already...i think its gunna be a great PA rifle...now i got the bore worked a little i'll start working on finding a load she likes...wanna do it while its still fairly cold as come nov/dec when i'll be hunting, it'll likely be 20-50 degrees...likely 30-40 though...so i dont wanna work a load up in july...

going to start at 57gr and work my way up in half grain increments and see what she likes..then maybe play with seating depth a little bit...today i was shooting about maxed out OAL for my rifle...any longer and they wouldnt fit in the mag (talking hairs longer) and wouldnt eject live rounds either...
Old 02-18-2010, 04:51 AM
Fork Horn

I have the same rifle and caliber. I am interested in what kind of accuracy you get out of the accubond. I shoot the accubond in other rifles but havent tried it in the whelen. Right now I am shooting the 225 gr sierra game king. Accuracy is pretty good but I havent shot anything with it yet. I am hoping for a nice Adirondack buck to pop its cherry.
Old 02-18-2010, 07:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

55gr of R15 was 3 shots at 100 and about a 2" group...and i felt it was a fair group..not shooter error...

this is a 9 shot group with 57.5gr of R15...5-15mph wind..25 degrees and couldnt feel my trigger finger...and am not used to shooting the 9x scope...been shooting the 18x on the groundhog rifle...so i am certain that it'll shrink...thats 9 shots there...4 in that same string..2 in the same hole below the string...the bull is a shade smaller than a quarter...

the 4 shot hole was shot consecutively...

not bragging yet...but, conditions were about as bad as they get for shooting pretty lil groups...and the rifle was brand new in the box...that 9 shot group was shots 10-19 through the rifle...id say potential is there for sure...

im going to start at 57gr and work my way up in half grain increments and shoot groups and see what she likes...and play with seating depth a bit...both the loads i shot yesterday were maxed out in OAL for my rifle..any longer and you cant load the mag and live rounds wont eject..im going to seat them a bit deeper next time...
Old 02-18-2010, 09:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here is my 5 shot group @ 100 yds with the 250 gr Hornady RN, the flier was my fault. Load is 52.7 gr of I4064, Fed 210 primer, I would try RE15, but I'm trying to start to limit how many different powders I keep on hand.

Attached Thumbnails 35 whelen...-photo_103009_001.jpg  

Last edited by thndrchiken; 02-18-2010 at 10:05 AM.
Old 02-18-2010, 10:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

thats nothin to complain about!

these are actually my first EVER hand loads...only got dies, powder and bullets for the whelen right now actually...so i only have RE15 on hand i just picked it as it seemed to be the favorite for the whelen...

i have a good helper..so i feel i passed the learning curve pretty quick...

i just worked up a bunch of loads to try and see what she likes...did seat them a bit deeper than last time...

just waiting on the weather to cooperate...im not shooting in the wind to try to read groups....

i want it to be cold since this rifle will only be used when its cold...but need the wind to quit for a day...

and i got a trigger spring on the way so i want to put that in before i head back to the range...have a buddy that has them in all his 7600s and he said it takes them to a nice 2.5-3lbs..i'll be pumped if a 10$ spring lightens it at all...

im in love with the gun, the caliber, and handloading already! cant wait for it to get warm so i can work on the 22-250! thats gunna be fun as i already know its a sub-moa gun...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.