Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

35 whelen...

Old 02-21-2010, 07:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Mauser where did you buy it?, I bought mine from Grice's in Clearfield, they also had the 700 CDL's but I wanted the 7600 to be different. It had the highly polished wood with the hard rubber/plastic butt plate. It kicked like a mule, and I'm used to doing 30-40 rds of 06 in a range session. I replaced the stock with a Butler Creek synthetic that weighs about half of what the wood did, reduced felt recoil by about 1/2 as well. May be more a result of the soft recoil pad but I think the straight comb on the B/C stock over the Monte Carlo of the wood plays a big part as well. I have two Whelen's, the 7600 and a Ruger Hawkeye all weather, I pulled the scope off of the 7600 and put a Williams peep on it to be my deep woods gun to go along with the XS Systems Ghost Ring on my 307.
Old 02-21-2010, 09:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
"06, a word of advise, stockpile components, but don't load them all, your preferences will change as new bullets, powder, and other technology moves along, go ahead, ask me how I know?
RR
Agreed, I had to try at least 6 different bullet styles and weights before I settled on the 250 gr Hornady RN. I haven't tried the SP but I am completely satisfied with the RN for all hunting conditions I'm likely to encounter.
Old 02-21-2010, 01:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

thndrchicken, i got it from a small shop in northern butler county PA...mine was actually made in a short run in 2005 but was still new in the box unfired...its blued/satin walnut...the shop owner said he bought it and a bunch of the maple runs from grices...it collected dust on his rack for a while he said....

funny as mine is likey to be worth a comparable amount as the maples..maybe a little more...most the remington collectors have no intrest in the maple..and i didnt either...they say 250 or something a year...but i can buy NIB maple 35 whelens all day...finding a walnut one is a bit hard...not completely impossible...but 95% of the time they are bringing more than most the other calibers in the 760/7600 lineup past and present...because there werent a whole ton of the whelens made...only made from 88-96 and then a special run in 04/05 i think...maybe another special run in there somewhere..but now just maples...

dont know why they didnt take...the guys that have them typically love them...and the guys buyin them now are collecting them or buying them like me...because they WANT one...i cant think of a better bear rifle...can take anything in north america and most of africa...fast follow ups are nice when they are needed...

alot of guys say they arent very accurate...but my buddy that collects them and has a PILE says ALL of his 760's are under an inch...and all his 7600s prior to the mid 90s are under an inch....lately he said hes been 50/50 and quit buying anything newer than mid 90s...said about half the newer 7600s and 700s just werent shooters...and hes a BR shooter and has some expirience and a shooter and hand loader and treats his deer rifle loads like he means it...no corner cutting for the most part...

i dont think i'll ever be too sad i loaded up 50-75 accubonds designated for hunting....look whats already starting to happen with the bullet manufacteres...they are all bringin out lead free bullets....im just not sold on them...and afraid i may never be...so im likely to have enough lead bullets for my hunting rifles to last me...bullets arent that expensive in most calibers...

but i wont stock up and load anything till i got a load develope and i find a bullet that im happy with...
Old 02-23-2010, 02:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

did some load testing today...

loaded 3 of each charge...7 charges total...

heres the best results...

a little playing with seating depth and my trigger spring, and i just might have a 1 ragged hole rifle...

rifle is still pretty new...got 40rds through her all together now..so it may settle down a bit itself yet...and my trigger spring got shipped today...so next time i shoot, i'll have it...

im pretty happy with that group though...being a new handloader, new rifle, not being real used to the rifle, its hard to complain about shootin like that..

had a few others shoot around an inch as well..i think only 1 charge was over 2" and its pushing max..no signs of pressure, but its a hot load..funny the load that shot best was 1.5gr less than the nosler manual...so its not a very hot load...but i dont care...a 225gr accubond moving at those speeds is going to knock the snot outta anything it hits...got no doubt about that...
Old 02-24-2010, 05:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nice, my load of 52.7 gr of 4064 is pretty mild as well, 2 gr under max per Hornady's data. I just can't bring myself to pay $35-40 for 50 bullets when I can get acceptable accuracy with the Hornady's with 100 in the box for the same price. Maybe this spring I'll play with 4350 or the 225 gr Sierra's. I still have to work a load up for my 257 project from last winter and I finally shot off all of my factory ammo for the 06, so I have a lot of range time coming up.

BTW if you don't mind my asking how much did you pay? If I remember correctly Grices was selling them for $569 and the 700 CDL's were $699 back in 2004/2005.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:22 AM
Fork Horn

Anyone see any of the synthetic stocked ones laying around anywhere? I missed a chance at getting one many moons ago and have been kicking myself about it for a long time..but it is a truely fantasatic cartridge, more than enough gun to take on anything in this state..lots of drive behind those big ole' bullet and lots of tissue manipulation...also that Rem 7600 is fast and furious..I had one in /06 that would shoot as good as any of my Rem 700's and I saw one in the late 60's chambered in .244 Remington that was a sub 1/2 incher!!
Old 02-24-2010, 10:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

ive never seen a synthetic whelen...not to say they werent made...but ive been lookin for a 7600 in 35 whelen for a few months and havent stumbled across one...

thndrchiken, i paid right around 700 out the door...i wasnt passing it up...its the gun and caliber i wanted...new in the box, and price of it will never go down...i could sell it for what i paid all day...there just wasnt a ton of the whelens made and the collector value is there and increasing...the guys buying them now are either like me and want a heavy hittin 7600 or are collectors...finding them is hit or miss...ive been watching the online auctions since November looking for one and most sale for more than i paid..and thats used..once in a while you'll see a used one for 600-700...but GOOD condition or new ones at 750+..plus shipping and everything else..

so i didnt do bad at all...i wasnt passing it up...and the satin finish was the stock i REALLY wanted....and finding out it was a special run gun, im pretty sure shes worth a bit more than i paid....i really dont care...im the kinda guy that if i want somethin, i'll pay for it....and dont care what its worth...shes my huntin rifle now!

the 7600 engraved 35 whelen is worth some change...there was less thant 1200 of them made...

accubond prices dont bother me a ton...they are a GREAT bullet from what ive read...and shoot VERY well...i wanted a good tough bullet that is going to do anything i need and then a little more..and, after shooting 21rds from the bench and seeing my shoulder this morning in the mirror, i wont be doin that again its simply not a gun made to sit on the bench and burn ammo with..its a small light rifle...the muzzle flip is pretty fierce..which makes it hurt when the top of the butt digs down into your shoulder..if it came straight back it wouldnt be terrible..it still dont bother me...but i wont be shooting it from the bench a ton...so bullet price doesnt bother me much...the nice thing about 35 cal is its hard to pick a bad bullet...i might change my bullet...but i wanna kill a critter or 2 with the accubons and see how they do...a big ole round nose will really knock the turds outta anything in its path....the accubond is supposed to expand to 2x its diameter upon impact but thats it....so we'll see how i like it...right now, its shooting well...and thats almost surely what'll be in my mag come bear season...
Old 02-25-2010, 03:27 PM
Spike

the guys in our group with 35 whelens have been using speer hot sores in 180 gr, very successfully for pa and maine bears.
Old 02-25-2010, 06:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by william arentz
the guys in our group with 35 whelens have been using speer hot sores in 180 gr, very successfully for pa and maine bears.
I tried the 180 gr Hornady's, to say they shot patterns is an understatement. Then again I didn't try them in the Ruger so I'll reserve judgement.
Old 03-06-2010, 07:48 AM
Fork Horn

I bought my 35 Whelen 7600 from Grices, part of the 2005 run. I'm loading the 225 gr. Game Kings, Rem. brass, 57.5 gr. R 15 and CCI 250 primers. Had the trigger reworked by Barnes, big improvement. I haven't really experimented with o.a.l., I kept them on the short side, more interested in reliable function over wringing out a few increments of group size. With a vintage Redfield Widefield 1.75 X 5 on her groups average around 1.5". Never shot a bear but have taken 7-8 deer with her. Can't say a bad thing about the Game Kings, all pased through never recovered one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.