Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Does anyone reload shotgun slugs? >

Does anyone reload shotgun slugs?

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Old 05-31-2009, 09:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Does anyone reload shotgun slugs?

I found some slugs that look really interesting to me. They're made by Gualandi and can be bought at midway usa. These slugs are 20 gauge slugs that are attached to a 12 guage wad and they have plastic petals around the slug to center it in the barrel. They should be the perfect size to put through a turkey choke. I'm thinking that a slug that'll go through my jellyhead might be useful to have on me while turkey hunting. You never know when a nice hog will walk by.

http://www.gualandi.it/ENG/p_30_gualbo.asp

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=779775
Old 06-02-2009, 09:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Does anyone reload shotgun slugs?

I used to reload with slugs. I even went so far as to cast both 20 and 12-ga slugs withLyman moulds. Also loaded some Brenneke slugs once. I used a powder charge and wad column that was compatible with a shot charge of the same weight as the slugs. Worked out OK.
Old 06-02-2009, 05:11 PM
DM

This moron does...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7g06a6RWC4A[/align][/align] DM[/align]
Old 06-03-2009, 01:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Unless you just want to have a new hobby, I'd imagine that you'd be just better off buying slugs in factory loads. Remington Sluggers are like $4.25 a box around here, and unless you are one of these guys that must fire at least 5 slugs at every deer you see, 10 boxes should be plenty for both practice and the season. That's $42. You'd be hard pressed to get a slug reloading setup up and running for less than a 100 with all the supplies. That's 25 boxes of slugs. Unless you shoot slugs a LOT, I don't think that there is any real economy to reloading slugs.

As for running slugs through a turkey choke, I just don't think that sounds like a very wise idea. The slug may fit through the choke, but the wad that surrounds it won't. Remember that the slug is encased in a sabot that centers it and seals the bore. It's firmly attached to the slug until after it leaves the muzzle. Trying to cram .730" worth of solid lead and sabot through a .660" hole at 1500 fps is a recipe for damage and possibly disaster. Even if you could do it safely, I seriously doubt that you'd see anything resembling accuracy from such a setup. What's wrong with 2 ounce magnum turkey loads. I know guys that shoot turkeys out to 50 yards with them through extended turkey choke tubes like your Jellyhead. 50 yards is a long way to shoot at a small moving target with a rifled slug. I think I'd stick with turkey loads through the Jellyhead, but that's just me.

Mike

Mike

Old 06-05-2009, 06:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

+1 What Mike said.
Old 06-08-2009, 05:42 PM
Spike

I've loaded that slug in it's earlier form. It was sold by Ballistic Products known as the dangerous game slug. I found it very accurate but poor terminal performance as it did not expand. Maybe this newer version is designed better. I would give them a try. But like you've heard here there are great factory slugs at affordable prices
Old 06-09-2009, 05:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

I agree there's little economy in reloading slugs; and today, there's little need because of the variety of shotgun slug loads that are available. Back when I tried it, Foster slugs and Brennekes were about all that was available (in the U.S., anyway).