HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Does anyone reload shotgun slugs?
View Single Post
Old 06-03-2009, 01:34 PM
driftrider
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Does anyone reload shotgun slugs?

Unless you just want to have a new hobby, I'd imagine that you'd be just better off buying slugs in factory loads. Remington Sluggers are like $4.25 a box around here, and unless you are one of these guys that must fire at least 5 slugs at every deer you see, 10 boxes should be plenty for both practice and the season. That's $42. You'd be hard pressed to get a slug reloading setup up and running for less than a 100 with all the supplies. That's 25 boxes of slugs. Unless you shoot slugs a LOT, I don't think that there is any real economy to reloading slugs.

As for running slugs through a turkey choke, I just don't think that sounds like a very wise idea. The slug may fit through the choke, but the wad that surrounds it won't. Remember that the slug is encased in a sabot that centers it and seals the bore. It's firmly attached to the slug until after it leaves the muzzle. Trying to cram .730" worth of solid lead and sabot through a .660" hole at 1500 fps is a recipe for damage and possibly disaster. Even if you could do it safely, I seriously doubt that you'd see anything resembling accuracy from such a setup. What's wrong with 2 ounce magnum turkey loads. I know guys that shoot turkeys out to 50 yards with them through extended turkey choke tubes like your Jellyhead. 50 yards is a long way to shoot at a small moving target with a rifled slug. I think I'd stick with turkey loads through the Jellyhead, but that's just me.

Mike

Mike