Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Shotgun Reload Speed Up? >

Shotgun Reload Speed Up?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Shotgun Reload Speed Up?

Old 02-23-2009, 01:12 AM
Fork Horn

Default Shotgun Reload Speed Up?

I have to say, I am hooked on this black powder shotgun. But I am trying to come up with a way to speed up my reloading a bit. I can do both barrels in approx a minute to minute and a half.

Right now, I carry my magnum speed loaders (bought from RMC), and capper in right vest pocket, and the felt wads in my left vest pocket (Upland vest), it just seems like to much in different spots for a quick reload. So what could I do to get things more centralized to speed up the reloads?

1) Keep as is?
2) Find a possible bag that will hold 28 spped loaders and other gear?
3) Or?

Thanks in advance
Old 02-23-2009, 03:54 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Shotgun Reload Speed Up?

Please take your time loading a double barrel shotgun.. Rushing could cause a mistake such as, double loading a barrel. There is no reason to rush, take your time and enjoy it.
Old 02-23-2009, 06:18 AM
Dominant Buck

I agree with Rock Fish.. slow down when loading. BUT the idea of a possible bag with loads is a great idea. I carry in one pocket, Lane Tubes with pre measured powder charges. In a pocket of my fanny pack I carry the shot cups and Lane Tubes with measured shot. And then in a second pocket of my fanny pack I carry the cappers, and over the shot cards.

But I never rush reloading.
Old 02-24-2009, 01:26 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for insulting my intelligence (sp?) I know how to load and load carefully! I am looking for ideas to be more efficient in reloading, which will in turn speed up the process a bit. I am not happy withthe time it is taking right now as I mentioned.

What I just saidmay offend you,but you just did the samr to me.

I can reload my rifles in 15-20 seconds and that is going slow for me.

No I am not looking to load a barrel or both barrels in 15-20 seconds. I will be happy if I can get close to 30-45 seconds.
Old 02-24-2009, 03:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

As you say, you feel your components are too spread out. So, anything you can do to reduce that is what you need to do. You're the one who can control that. I have no experience with a ML shotgun, so I can't offer anything from my own experience. I'd think about what you can do to somehow pre-assemble the components of a complete load, so you can grab it all at once. That way, any error in loading will be immediately apparent.

When you load, do you fully load one barrel, then load the other? This may be slower overall, but would reduce loading mistakes, which WILL almost certainly happen at some point. I'll admit it has happened to me, and I only had one barrel to think about.

For what it's worth, don't get insulted when someone offers advice. It usually comes with a fair amount of experience.
Old 02-24-2009, 05:24 AM
Fork Horn

Yes, I do load one barrel at a time, as I don't want to make a mistake. Yes it happens and it has been done by myself a couples time resulting bullet and no powder, but I realized the mistake just as I started to seat the bullet.

Like I have said and mentioned, I do have a possible bag, but it really isn't big enough for say 25 shots (speed loader), and wads. That is why I am trying to get ideas from the folks here on how they have done it, or even an out of the box idea. I am not target shooting, I am hunting and want to be as efficient as possible on my reloading, the rifle is a no brainer.
Old 02-24-2009, 07:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Looks like you're trying to be prepared for quite a bit of shooting. I can see where that would be problemmatic, albeit in a good way.

Maybe someone will have some suggestions for carrying that many loads into the field. I've never carried more than 4 speedloaders, but that's deer hunting, not shotgunning.
Old 02-25-2009, 03:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

IMO unless you are in some hunting situation with the shotgun that would require speed loading, there is not need to rush it. And, not knowing your situation, in over 40 years of hunting, except for dove shooting, I can't recall ever needing 25 rounds. 10 would be plenty.
And, If you were in a duck blind or on a dove shoot, you could carry a shooting box and have your loading supplies out and neatly organized.
Or, if you absolutely need to have 25 or more loads, you could carry half in the morning and go back to your vehicle for a break and then resupply your ammo.

ps: I don't see were anyone tried to insult your intelligence or offend you. We are just relating our experience to you based on lots of years in the field.
Most of us have taken enough game and have hunted long enough to come to the realization that the kill is not as important as the hunt and just being out there and enjoying it.