Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 OAL gauge / bullet comparator >

OAL gauge / bullet comparator

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

OAL gauge / bullet comparator

Old 03-24-2009, 09:10 AM
Fork Horn

Default OAL gauge / bullet comparator

I want to get an OAL gauge that spaces from the bullet ogive. The only one I've seen is the Hornady / Stoney Point version. Are there any others out there? Pros and cons?

Thanks

Chris
Old 03-24-2009, 10:15 AM
bigcountry

Default RE: OAL gauge / bullet comparator

The cons of the stoney point is putting the red holder on and off your calibers. Can be off up to .005" I have a set of calibers I keep it attached to, but even changing out the end piece (for various calibers) things can change.

The pros, is I find it great to use. helps me troubleshoot problems, like headspace. Helps me setup my dies correctly. Helps me setup my bullet seatin depth the same every time.

Only other is sold by sinclair intl.

Old 03-24-2009, 01:18 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks. I figured I'd want another set of calipers with the stony point setup.
Old 03-24-2009, 01:38 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: CZ2506

Thanks. I figured I'd want another set of calipers with the stony point setup.
I use some of those cheap chinese calibers from cabelas.

I have a set of check set. Basically blocks of steel from starrett that are within .0001" to calibrate things like this. They were accurate within .001". Good enough.

Old 03-24-2009, 02:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

I got the same thing coming. With several of the mod cases as well as a couple of sets of collet dies. thanks for the advice Big.
Old 03-25-2009, 04:57 AM

Sinclair has the "nut" style comparators that don't require attaching anything to your calipers. Here's a link to this type:

http://www.sinclairintl.com/product/5582/s

They take a little getting used to. It takes a little while to get the feel for holding multiple items in your hands while your trying to measure the cartridge.

Old 03-27-2009, 11:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

The cons of the stoney point is putting the red holder on and off your calibers. Can be off up to .005" I have a set of calibers I keep it attached to, but even changing out the end piece (for various calibers) things can change.
Ok , you got me. I don’t understand.... I usually reset my calipers back to zero after installing the red holder with the comparator...
Old 03-27-2009, 03:04 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: trailer

Ok , you got me. I don’t understand.... I usually reset my calipers back to zero after installing the red holder with the comparator...
Well, I guess you got me now. Are you saying you have digitals? The added length of the red holder is well over an inch. My calibers only are able to zero within .01".

Old 03-27-2009, 03:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Are you saying you have digitals? The added length of the red holder is well over an inch. My calibers only are able to zero within .01".
Yes, my caliper is digital. I guess I should have pick up on that. I was never much on dial calipers. How old is your Stoney Point set up? The reason I ask is that my setup measures just over 1” within .001” with both red holder and bullet comparator. Now , don’t take this the wrong way but they are referred to calipers with a “P” and not calibers with a “B”...