Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

300rum?

Old 09-28-2009, 01:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Bubba48
I allso shot the 300RUM mine is a remington SPS Stainless I shoot nosler 180gr accubond and today I found a load with nosler 150gr E-Tip. Tryed the remington 150gr scirocco bullet I ended up takeing them apart reweighed the powder to 93gr's andput them back together and now they shoot 1/2 inch groups. when I took them apart
the weight was between 93.5gr's to 95.8gr's I read an article soom were that remington used IMR 7828 in the 300rum in the nosler reloading book there max load for IMR 7828 was 93.0gr's. Now I just need to find loads for used brass in the 300 rum.
Any reason you think your load would be different for brass that's been fired?
Old 09-28-2009, 01:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by kilotanker19
the way that i came to that conclusion its just that most often very light bulletts in a large capacity case are not very accurate
Not necessarily, it's just overkill and a waste of powder. You'll either blow the bullet outright or it'll fragment explosively because you impact with too much velocity.

I shoot 110gr V-Maxes in my 300WM for coyotes simply because I haven't put together a .243AI yet specifically for that purpose. THey shoot 3800fps, you could get them over 4000 out of your RUM. THey are accurate as all get-out.

The lighter bullets will also burn your barrel faster, which is why I don't shoot them much in my 300.
Old 09-28-2009, 07:26 PM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by spaniel
Not necessarily, it's just overkill and a waste of powder. You'll either blow the bullet outright or it'll fragment explosively because you impact with too much velocity.

I shoot 110gr V-Maxes in my 300WM for coyotes simply because I haven't put together a .243AI yet specifically for that purpose. THey shoot 3800fps, you could get them over 4000 out of your RUM. THey are accurate as all get-out.

The lighter bullets will also burn your barrel faster, which is why I don't shoot them much in my 300.
There has never been one case of a bullet blowing up out of the barrel.

Old 09-29-2009, 02:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bigcountry
There has never been one case of a bullet blowing up out of the barrel.
Proof?

"If you spin your bullets too fast, this heats up the jackets and also increases the centrifugal force acting on the jacket, pulling it outward. The combination of heat, friction, and centrifugal force can cause jacket failure and bullet “blow-ups” if you spin your bullets too fast."

Push light bullets too fast in a barrel with a fast twist for heavy bullets (ie many magnum rifles), and you'll see it. Especially since light bullets are often thin-jacketed varmint designs. They can't hold the RPMs.

http://accurateshooter.wordpress.com...stability/eted
Old 09-29-2009, 04:16 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by spaniel
Proof?

"If you spin your bullets too fast, this heats up the jackets and also increases the centrifugal force acting on the jacket, pulling it outward. The combination of heat, friction, and centrifugal force can cause jacket failure and bullet “blow-ups” if you spin your bullets too fast."

Push light bullets too fast in a barrel with a fast twist for heavy bullets (ie many magnum rifles), and you'll see it. Especially since light bullets are often thin-jacketed varmint designs. They can't hold the RPMs.

http://accurateshooter.wordpress.com...stability/eted
You can get bullet skid, but thats not a blow up. Total BS myth.

Old 10-08-2009, 11:02 PM
Fork Horn

Gotta agree on the 168gr TSX in the RUM. My go to load is clocking right at 3370fps out of my RUM and I pushed three of these thru a moose this fall. Penetration was very impressive, one went stem to stern on my bull. Talking over 5 feet of penetration, entrence in right ham, exit out front of chest on left side, Also placed one at a hard quarting angle thru the pounch and out the far shoulder right at the shoulder ball. actually pushed grass out of the exit wound. Range was about 180 yards.

I could push that bullet faster but have found excellent accuracy with this load, sub .5" groups with reasonably consistancy and always under an inch. 300 yard groups averaging around 1.5". Thats about as good as I can do with any rifle.