Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 300RUM Throat Errosion >

300RUM Throat Errosion

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

300RUM Throat Errosion

Old 12-30-2004, 07:09 AM
bigcountry

Default 300RUM Throat Errosion

I have been keeping close eye on throat lengths of my custom 300RUM. I have kept 3 particular bullets as references to use in my stoney point AOL guage. After 300 rounds in this new barrel, I have seen almost no differences to reach the rifling. This is a Kreiger heavy barrel. With two other RUM's I saw some thoat length changes at 300rounds. I never shoot max loads and the gun never gets hot.

I am just shocked. I am going to take to my gunsmith to look at thru his hawkeye to see if all looks good. One difference with this barrel is I only use wipeout to get the copper and fouling out. No more brushes or scrubing.

Old 12-30-2004, 08:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: 300RUM Throat Errosion

I never shoot max loads and the gun never gets hot.
I think that is part of the equation. I also think we scrub barrels too darn often and some of these less harsher chemicals do the job as well as the more corrosive ones.
Old 12-30-2004, 11:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

ok big boy, share with me please, what is wipeout?? (not a drum solo I guess?) and should i use it?
Old 12-30-2004, 11:36 AM
bigcountry

Well Mossy, Brownie told and sold me about it so you might not be interested with your experence with him. But its like shaving cream. You spray in the barrel, and put a patch in both ends. And let it sit for a few hours. Then you see all the blue copper copper come out. Spray again, and she should be done. Not hydrscopic from what I can see (won't attract H2O). Its a scrubless cleaner. I use it when I have don't have alot of time and don't feel like scrubbing the barrel with Sweets or CR-10. I usually let it sit when getting home from the range for 2hour with it in. Then put another application and let it sit until morning. That usually does it. Oil it and put it up.

Old 12-30-2004, 12:52 PM

Big I agree on the "scrub em to much" theory. My Warbird has had 9 boxes run through it in 5 years. After the initial "break in" of 3 boxes, the gun has held great accuracy and continues to. But I have NEVER let the gun get hot, I ONLY scrub out/de copper the barrel once a season (after season when I put it in the safe until next fall) and I always run a clean, dry BoreSnake through the barrel one time after each time afield whether I fired it or not. (I began doing this with every single gun I own and you would be amazed at how clean they stay as a result.)

John Lazzeroni told me that you can double the life of a "super mag" barrel with a little common sense and by having the patience to let the gun cool between shots at the range. Everyone claims 1k to be the expected life of such guns but he says when properly cared for that one should expect at a minimum of 1500 rounds before any noticable wear that effects accuracy. And he likewise added that the life should really be closer too 2k rounds when properly and patiently cared for.

Race cars require some special effort and so should super mags, but nothing that is overly laborious or challenging.
RA
Old 01-03-2005, 12:35 PM
bigcountry

And thats definately a race car.