Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Questions from a newbie

Old 02-16-2009, 04:20 PM
voz
Fork Horn

Default Questions from a newbie

I just made my first attempt at reloading and I'm not sure what my next step is. I made up 40 rounds of 243 with five different charge weights (increasing by increments of .5 gr)...I started in the center of the charge range and worked up...inspecting the cases as I went. I shot 2 groups of 4 of each charge weight. Anyway, I was under the impression that I would have one charge weight that would be clearly dominant...but they all shot descent. In the end I can't decide if the slight differences are the load or me. I'm not really a good shooter but I did manage to get three different loads to shoot in 1" or less groups (at 100yds). Not sure what the next step should be...I thought I'd make up some more of those three loads and retest. Anyway...thanks for any advice...I need it.

Oh, here's what I'm reloading...95gr BT, H4350 (40.5 - 42.5), and I'm loading it in remington brass from corelokts I have previously fired. I know the 42.5 is a .5 gr over the limit but I thought that since my barrel is shorter, the pressure wouldn't be quite as high...I checked the cases and primers and they looked just like the shorter charges. [/align]
Old 02-17-2009, 05:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Questions from a newbie

I would take the best group and make that load again maybe 9-10 and see if it is repeatable. If it is you should then use the same charge but change the C.O.A.L. and see if you can make you groups even tighter. Then you got it.
Old 02-18-2009, 04:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

You might be able to improve accuracy but any loads shooting under 1"@100yds sounds pretty good to me.For hunting you want to do full length resizing but if you're just looking for better target loads just size the neck.
Old 02-18-2009, 08:12 PM
Typical Buck

Did you fire each group from a COLD barrel?
Old 02-18-2009, 11:37 PM
voz
Fork Horn

I took my time shooting...between shots and between groups...not sure if barrel was cold. My reloads POI where a couple inches high, so I had adjusted my scope to move the groups to the center of the target...when I was done, I adjusted it back and shot a group with 100gr croelokts (factory) and that was my best group. I'm gonna load up some more and take another whack at it. Thanks for the help.
Old 02-21-2009, 07:32 AM
Boone & Crockett

Voz - The .243 is a notorious cartridge case for stretching. If you load the case too many times without trimming you are going to have a case that is too long for the chamber. You will notice this when you have difficulty closing the bolt. Because the case mouth an bullet are entering the throat and you are pinching the bullet tighter in the case. This can result in excessive pressures.
You may want to consider investing in a case trimmer. The RCBS TrimPro is a good trimmer and will last you a lifetime. And besides, trimming also squares up the case mouth which will give you better accuracy.
Once the cases are trimmed to the proper length, you will need to run a chamfering tool across the inside and outside edge of the case mouth.
Old 02-22-2009, 12:19 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: voz

I just made my first attempt at reloading and I'm not sure what my next step is. I made up 40 rounds of 243 with five different charge weights (increasing by increments of .5 gr)...I started in the center of the charge range and worked up...inspecting the cases as I went. I shot 2 groups of 4 of each charge weight. Anyway, I was under the impression that I would have one charge weight that would be clearly dominant...but they all shot descent. In the end I can't decide if the slight differences are the load or me. I'm not really a good shooter but I did manage to get three different loads to shoot in 1" or less groups (at 100yds). Not sure what the next step should be...I thought I'd make up some more of those three loads and retest. Anyway...thanks for any advice...I need it.

Oh, here's what I'm reloading...95gr BT, H4350 (40.5 - 42.5), and I'm loading it in remington brass from corelokts I have previously fired. I know the 42.5 is a .5 gr over the limit but I thought that since my barrel is shorter, the pressure wouldn't be quite as high...I checked the cases and primers and they looked just like the shorter charges.
[/align]
What powder(S) did you use? I normally pick a bullet, and try as many different powders as I have for the bulletI want to use. The fact that the gun shot this powder over different weight charges in a small group identifies this powder as being good in your gun. Pick the heaviest load for that powder that didnt show signs of pressure, and make 10-20 rounds, and play with the overall length within your chamber/barrel throat constrictions in your gun. shoot four 5 shot groups (slowly letting the barrel cool) and see which length was the most accurate with that powder/bullet combo.

That powder will perform for you over a large set of conditions which is what you want in a hunting load, as you will often be hunting in extreme conditions, hot cold wet etc.