Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Dillon D-Terminator Scale Review >

Dillon D-Terminator Scale Review

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Dillon D-Terminator Scale Review

Old 01-21-2009, 06:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Dillon D-Terminator Scale Review

Not supposed to trickle charges onto an electronic scale... that's a load of bs. It's a scale I can understand if it was a dispenser system like the DPMS and having issues with the weight after dispensing a charge. So in other words they are saying that it is only intended to weigh a specific charge.
Old 01-21-2009, 08:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

That is essentially what they are saying. They are saying that once the scale locks into a weight, they can't vouch for the accuracy of the load until you remove the pan and replace it.

I'm going to test the variance between trickling the charge and replacing the pan to get an idea of the variance. I'm going to do it at something like 30gr, 50gr and 70gr with 10 measurements each. I don't think it will be a problem. I have a feeling it's one of lawyer deals.

I will report back tomorrow.

I also want to call RCBS and see if their scale will respond to a trickle.

Tom
Old 01-21-2009, 08:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just got off the phone with RCBS and according to the person that answered the phone both the 750 and the 1500 measure trickled charges.

TT
Old 01-21-2009, 04:03 PM
Typical Buck

It is normal for electronic scales not to be sensitive enough to trickle powder into. I don't know anything about locking on, but I do know that these scales tend to have too much friction in their load cells. The effect is it takes .5 grains or so to overcome staic friction and get it to move and read the new weight.

Most mechanical scales have a hard knife edge mated to a polished stone or hard surface. This causes basically zero friction at the balance point. Also, it is a pivoting relationship vs. a sliding joint. Much easier to eliminate friction.
Old 01-23-2009, 12:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

I did a fairly extensive experiment and found that the scale even with trickling is accurate to 0.1 grain. Still don't know exactly what the guy at Dillon was referring to.

Here is how the experiment played out.

I took 6 measurements at 30 grains and trickled up. After the scale read 30.0 I would re-weight the pan two more times. Generally the scale would re-read 30.0 grains. However on a couple it read 30.1 gr.

I also did the same experiment at 50 grains. It was more consistent at 50 grains than at 30. I believe I only had one miss read and it was high by 0.1 gr.

I had the intention of doing it at 70 grains but figured my findings were sufficient.

Tom
Old 07-19-2013, 05:10 AM
Fork Horn

Location: From WA, lived in NC, MO, KS, NY, GA, and retired in the "Show Me"

Good info, I am looking into a digital powder scale......
Old 12-25-2013, 06:38 PM
Spike

Lets face it guys most everything expensive or not with any U.S.A. Mfr. Name on it is made in CHINA. Sad I know, but they have us by the You know what.? It's hard to find an all American Digital electronic Scale under $200 bucks today.?