Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Relaoding kit

Old 11-12-2013, 04:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Relaoding kit

So a truck tboned me on april. Side curten airbags to hell my head and arm went through passanger window lol. Mess up my hip so got told today id have a settlement offer in a day or two. So its new toys time

One thing i am doin is a 308/7.62 ar

Im also thinking bout reloading to save some cash on ammo.
Im gonna have the ar and prob a glock 45 so would like to reload the 7.62 for target shooting maybe a few 308s for hunting or target no reason to waste the brass and the 45s
Can someone recommend a reloading setup. Not looking for something with all the bells and whistles just a good set up that will do a good job. And whats it all gonna cost
Old 11-12-2013, 04:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

Also ik u couldnt reload for the older glocks cause the barrel. Can u on the gen 4s or is there a reloadable barrel out for the gen 4
Old 11-13-2013, 01:41 AM
Typical Buck

First, read the sticky at the top of the page. Second, buy a decent manual (Lyman 49th has a good basic how to), read the entire beginning and stop at cartridge specific data info. Read it again. After you have read that info, now determine what setup will be best for you. I like a single stage press and feel that its the best way to go for a new loader. I started with a RCBS Rockchucker supreme kit (about $320). On top of that you will need a dial caliper, trimmer, powder trickler and other small gizmos to make like easier. You will need dies and shell holders for each cartridge you're planning on loading. Realistically $500 - $600 + components will get you loading quality ammo.
Old 11-13-2013, 06:45 AM
Typical Buck

Take a look at the Lee kits. I do believe someone starting out needs to begin with a single stage press to get the basics of reloading down. An alternative would be a Lee classic cast turret press. You can either use them as a single stage or an auto indexing press depending on if you have the auto index bar installed or not. A lot of people will bash the Lee brand products, but I have had good luck with them. I did replace their safety scale with a RCBS 10-10. Read through a couple of different reloading manuals. Lee and Lyman are a couple of good ones to start with. Keep in mind that every brand manual will recommend their own products. Go slow and don't hesitate to post more questions. Good luck. HD.
Old 11-13-2013, 09:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks guys. Imma do alot of reading first after what iv read watched on youtube and RR recommended i think a single press is the way for me to go
Old 11-13-2013, 01:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

I started out with a Lee Anniversary Single Stage Press kit around 15-16yrs ago. Hate single stage pressing to this day.

I ramped up to a progressive press when I was shooting 3gun, first a Lee 1000, then an RCBS Pro 2000, then ended up selling them when I quit reloading in high volume.

The PERFECT set up for me these days is a Turret press. I have that old Lee Challenger Single Stage press set up with a universal decapping die, then use an ultrasonic cleaner to clean my brass. I have an RCBS crank case trimmer, and use a Lee EZ Prime to prime. Then everything goes to the turret press. I didn't splurge for the auto bullet feeder or powder feeder, so I somewhat run my turret like a single stage, resize (neck or full length) all of the brass, prime separately, then powder separately, then back on the press to seat the bullet and receive crimp (for certain rounds).

The best part of the Turret press, even though I use it more like a single stage, is that I can leave ALL of my dies set at the perfect height. So I totally eliminate the trial and error of resetting dies between stages, and I can swap back and forth between different cartridges in a few seconds, all without worrying about setting the dies properly.

I have a hornady 3-in-1 case prep tool, cheap, $100, works well enough. Hornady Lock-n-load ultra sonic cleaner.

I use a hornady lock-n-load powder measure/scale to dispense the powder, then double check it on my old Lee Safety Scale (don't trust electronics with my fingers or face) before charging the cases.

Since the new baby arrived, I had to give up my workshop room, so I converted a Black & Decker Work-Mate Bench with a 2'x2' slab of 3/4" particle board into a mini reloading bench. One corner is my decapping press, the other corner is my turret press, along one side is the crank trimmer, the other side is my case prep tool, and the powder measure sits in the middle with the Safety Scale to the side of it (still has my Lee Perfect Powder Measure) mounted as well, but never use it. I set it up so I can turn the table as I go(weighs about 25lbs?) and hit each different function. Kinda feel silly for having such a big reloading bench before!
Old 11-13-2013, 02:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you DO go the single stage route, look at the Hornady Lock-n-Load bushing press. Maybe I'm particularly biased to this, but I hate setting dies. I want all of my ammo to size and seat the same, so to me it's counter-productive to remove and reset the dies every time. The bushing set up would be nice for a single stager to swap dies or cartridges quickly and easily, and NEVER have to reset height/depth, much like I use my turret heads for my turret press.
Old 11-19-2013, 02:45 PM
Fork Horn

never heard of can't reload older glocks cause of the barrel. I have shot a 17l since the late 80's a Gen 1. I have reloaded 10's of thousands of rounds. What they get is a case bulge called the ''glock bulge'' It's fine and hurts nothing.
Old 12-23-2013, 05:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

I prefer the RCBS Rock Chucker single stages myself but it's what I've used all my life.
Everything I buy is RCBS because their customer service has proved excellent every time I've called them.
I'm not a fan of Lee products but again that's just my preference.
Old 12-23-2013, 12:21 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by pnut
I prefer the RCBS Rock Chucker single stages myself but it's what I've used all my life.
Everything I buy is RCBS because their customer service has proved excellent every time I've called them.
I'm not a fan of Lee products but again that's just my preference.
Much of my equipment is RCBS and their customer service is excellent as you said.
My opinion of Lee products is that they are as good as anything on the market and cost less.
For neck sizing I don't think the Lee collet neck sizer die has an equal at any price.
Just my opinion.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.