Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Dillon D-Terminator Scale Review >

Dillon D-Terminator Scale Review

Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Dillon D-Terminator Scale Review

Old 01-16-2009, 12:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Dillon D-Terminator Scale Review

Well I received the Dillon D-Terminator scale about a week ago and just got the time to test it yesterday.

First I checked it for electronic interference. I used a microwave, dryer, stereo and cell phone. No combination would cause it give a false reading and at no time was it off by more than 0.1 grain. Really though it never coughed on this test once. I used the check weight they sent with it and I also used a Nosler Partion 165gr bullet which didn't weigh exactly 165gr btw.

Next I did 37 reloads. One thing I noticed right away is that this scale is extremely sensitive. Extremely. Your breath will cause it fluctuate. Now I know my heavy breathing can weigh as much as 8 grains. Don't tell my girlfriend that. As long as I kept it a half arms length away from me it wasn't a problem. The Dillon scale comes with a wind shield and while it works 100% it renders the scale almost completely useless. Maybe if I were a competition shooter I'd use it but it's for all intents and purposes useless.

During an hour of measuring up powder, I had to reset the scale twice. Two things happened each time that were strange but didn't cause the any issues when weighing the powder. When I'd take the pan of powder off and place it in the brass the reading on the scale would sometimes be off by as much as 0.2 grains. However once the pan was back on the scale it would read 0.0. So again it didn't effect the measurement of the powder. My theory on this is that the scale was having trouble detecting no weight. As a precaution I re-zeroed the scale.

All in all I really like this scale. I have to do some more reloads before I'd say that it's the real deal but I know that it did a good job because I remeasured some poured brass later and it was exact.

I believe Dillon that this scale is accurate to 0.1 grain. While measuring the scale could detect granules dropping into the pan.

If I had one complaint it would be the pan that they include sucks. The tip is too pointy and the powder gets stuck there and doesn't want to come out. I'm going to order a Lyman brass pan and just be done with it.

I also learned one thing while using the Dillon scale. My Lyman powder caster is amazingly accuracte. I would say that most reloaders could simply use it to measure their powder. The Lyman was casting easily to with 0.3 grain, as long as I kept the hopper full over the baffles. Which is plenty close enough for short to medium range hunting.

Tom
Old 01-16-2009, 06:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Dillon D-Terminator Scale Review

I know what your saying about the sensitivity of the digital scales. I have the Lyman DPMS 3 and a Cabelas 1500. While both are accurate you have to rezero every 10 loads and recalibrate every 25 or so. I've gotten to the point to where I find I'd rather just keep going and use my Lyman beam scale as the final check. Using the DPMS it most definitely speeds weighing charges.
Old 01-17-2009, 07:35 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: statjunk

. . .While measuring the scale could detect granules dropping into the pan.

. . .
Tom
Does that mean that you were trickling poder into the pan? What kind of powder? Could it detect a .1 gr increase in powder?
Old 01-20-2009, 05:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: nksmfamjp

ORIGINAL: statjunk

. . .While measuring the scale could detect granules dropping into the pan.

. . .
Tom
Does that mean that you were trickling poder into the pan? What kind of powder? Could it detect a .1 gr increase in powder?
By this I meant I was trickling powder into the pan and when I would drop a grain the scale would move a bit. Sometimes it would rest back at X.0 grains and then once that last granule would fall into the pan it would move to X.1 grain. So it was actually detecting each granule falling into the pan.

Tom
Old 01-20-2009, 05:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd offer one helpful hint. If you take a used dryer sheet and wipe down the inside surface of the powder pan it will allow powder to flow out of the pan without bridging.
Old 01-20-2009, 08:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

SKB,

Thanks for the tip I will certainly try it.

Tom
Old 01-20-2009, 09:47 AM
Typical Buck

Wow, sounds like a good scale. What price range are we talkin'?
Old 01-20-2009, 12:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's $140. I also added the case which they don't currently have any in stock for $15. There was also $16 in shipping.

I'm very happy with my scale so far.

Here's a link:

http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/con...ectronic_Scale

Tom
Old 01-20-2009, 12:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just called to see if they had the case in stock yet or to see if they knew when it would arrive. I got into a conversation with the supervisor over there about what I was doing and he indicated that you're not supposed to use the scale to trickle charges. I was really surprised by that. He says that they can't vouche for the accuracy once the scale locks onto an initial weight.

I'm going to experiment with the scale tonight to see how accurate it is while trickling. If it isn't within 0.2 grains accurate while trickling then I think I'm going to return the electronic scale and go with a mechanical scale.

Any thoughts from experienced reloaders on this issue?

Tom
Old 01-21-2009, 04:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Didn't have time to do the test last night but will tonight. I will report back on what I find.

Tom

Quick Reply: Dillon D-Terminator Scale Review

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.