Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 I going to start reloading - Here's the plan. >

I going to start reloading - Here's the plan.

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

I going to start reloading - Here's the plan.

Old 05-13-2008, 08:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default I going to start reloading - Here's the plan.

Well I am going to buy my reloading equip ment this week. I am going to start by getting a Lee Precision 50th anniversary reloading kit see it here. http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/53693-66821-1747.html
I know that there are better kits out there but I just want to make sure really like reloading before I buy a more expensive set.

What I plan to get aswell:
Dies -I am going to start with my .270. Any suggestions?

Hornady 140 gr. SPBT bullets
CCI primers
Remington brass
Dial Calipers
Reloading manuel

The powder I am not so sure about I was looking at Hodgdon 4831 & 4350. I don't know much anout the different powders yet but I see these are used alot and I looked up a couple .270 loads.

What do yo folks think & what would you suggest. I don't know anyone else who reloads so everything thing I know so far has come from you guys.

Old 05-13-2008, 09:42 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: I going to start reloading - Here's the plan.

Sounds like a plan

I'd buy H4831 and any large rifle primers
Old 05-13-2008, 10:34 AM
Spike

Here's a place to get some load info from. http://www.reloadersnest.com/

Jeff
Old 05-15-2008, 05:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

For dies, you may want to go with a deluxe set from Lee. It comes with a Coalette (sp) die. This die allows you just to resize the neck which will make the brass last longer and potentially give you more accurate ammo since the brass isfire formedto your chamber.

If the kit you're looking at doesn't come with a trickler get one. It's one of the most used tools I have. You're also going to need 1-2 case holders so you don't spill, and a box or two to put your loaded ammo in. Also get some peel and stick labels so you have a way of labeling your ammo.

Any kit you buy should come with a reloading manual. Once you get the manual you can decide which powders to buy.

One last thing. I know it's much more expensive than the Lee kit but take a look at the Lyman and Rock Chucker Kits. I think in the long run you'd be better off with one of those. I bought the Lyman kit and couldn't be happier.

If you end up going with another kit buy the Lee Hand Priming Tool. Worth every penny.

Tom