Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 I going to start reloading - Here is the plan. >

I going to start reloading - Here is the plan.

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

I going to start reloading - Here is the plan.

Old 05-13-2008, 09:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default I going to start reloading - Here is the plan.

Well I am going to buy my reloading equip ment this week. I am going to start by getting a Lee Precision 50th anniversary reloading kit see it here. http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/53693-66821-1747.html
I know that there are better kits out there but I just want to make sure really like reloading before I buy a more expensive set.

What I plan to get aswell:
Dies -I am going to start with my .270. Any suggestions?

Hornady 140 gr. SPBT bullets
CCI primers
Remington brass
Dial Calipers
Reloading manuel

The powder I am not so sure about I was looking at Hodgdon 4831 & 4350. I don't know much anout the different powders yet but I see these are used alot and I looked up a couple .270 loads.

What do yo folks think & what would you suggest. I don't know anyone else who reloads so everything thing I know so far has come from you guys.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: I going to start reloading - Here is the plan.

I think you might want to post this in the reloading section...
Old 05-13-2008, 09:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: nchawkeye

I think you might want to post this in the reloading section...
I did its really slow there and I want to order theequip. in the next few days.
Old 05-13-2008, 10:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

This kit should get you started OK, but it was a bit difficult for me to tell exactly what was in the kit. Here's what I think that you need as a minimum in addition to what I can see in the "image". You will need a bullet puller. An inexpensive impact puller works fine. Believe me you will make a mistake and have to pull the bullet and start over. Also I think you'd be better served with a hand priming tool. These are not expensive and I like them much better for small quanity hand loading than a priming tool operated from the press.You will also need a case trimmer so that you can cut cases to the proper length with precision.This kit may have one but I do not see it.And I did not see a case lube pad. If the kit does not have one, get one.Excellent and simple way to apply the proper amount of case lube.

I have hand-loaded for rifle and shotgun since about 1975. Make safety the first priority, always. When done correctly, hand loading ammo is a safe hobby. But imporper handling, improper assembly techniques and improper storage of reloading supplies can lead to a disaster. When it comes to powder charge, stay conservative. Starting out with a "hot load" is justasking for trouble.Take your time and be as precise as you can. If you have a friend that is an experienced hand-loader, I suggest a "coaching" session. Have fun and good luck with you loads.
Old 05-13-2008, 01:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

All I can say is, spend the money, buy the best you can. I'd want a digital scale for certain!

Buying the best from the get go is cheaper than buying the best later on.....and replacing ok stuff you buy now.
Old 05-13-2008, 02:12 PM
Typical Buck

I have no problems with the lee anniversary set. 2 years no problems. I actually like the lee scales. They work well for me.

+2 on rcbs bullet puller

and calipers

and ammo cases and trays
Old 05-13-2008, 06:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Looks to have everything you will need to get started. I use RCBS dies myself for all my rifles, I do have a Lee Crimp die for my 223 when loading for my ARs.

I agree with the hand priming tool, its a lot better than trying to use the press method.

Also get a few loading blocks, and don't forget the shell holders when you get your dies.
Old 05-13-2008, 06:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

okgobbler got it right when stating, "trays". I would never reload without them. Perhaps I'm more clutzy than others but I know if I didn't use trays I would be tipping over my brass all the time. I started using imperial sizing wax instead of case lube and have found it cleaner and easier to use. Go slowly and always be as exacting as possible. I've been reloading for about 25 years and as still as slow as when I started (more efficient but as slow). I look at reloading as an art and love seeing a full tray of perfectly loaded rounds.
Old 05-13-2008, 08:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was sure I needed a bullet puller too - and in over 20 years of reloading, I can't remember using it a single time. A friend who liked to savor a few beers while reloading DID find himself borrowing my bullet puller on numerous occasions.

Hand priming tool - absolutely

You'll probably find yourself wanting a case tumbler after awhile, as well as a caliper and case trimmer (keep in mind that cases DO have a limited life, depending on how heavy your loads are and the brand of the case). Take care of them and they'll last longer and promote accuracy.

Careful the digital scales. I've found more variation than I expected and find myself "checking" them with my "cheap" beam scale more often than I care to. I've had mine a few years, so maybe they've worked the kinks out of them by now?

And if you REALLY want to get the most out of your reloading, you'll want a chronograph and ballistics program for your laptop.

At least your wife won't be wondering what to get you for Christmas for the next "few" years?!
Old 05-13-2008, 08:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've also never used or bought a bullet puller yet.

My biggest piece of advice. Make sure your scale is level, and calibrated before each use. Then weigh each individual load until you get the knack for reloading/throwing charges.

Quick Reply: I going to start reloading - Here is the plan.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.