Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Want to start reloading >

Want to start reloading

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Want to start reloading

Old 03-02-2004, 10:16 AM

Default Want to start reloading

I would like to start reloading, and I need to know some basics from those here who do it. What presses are good, what are the essentials, etc... I will be loading 45/70, .450M, .44 mag, .500 mag, .22-250, 30-30, .45 Colt, and some others down the road. Any advice would be great, thanks!
Old 03-02-2004, 12:25 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: Want to start reloading

All I can say, is its best to start out with a single stage press. That way you can learn the basics. Especially if you are teaching yourself.

I go with RCBS for the press's. Also go with them for the dies unless I am loading for a round I want to shoot real long range. I like redding dies also. Then I would go with the redding. But I would hold off on redding bushing dies. I see some guys try to start reloading competition ammo out of the gate, and it doesn't work out well. I still have a bunch of questions when it comes to runout, and neck turning, primer seating.

If you need a list of what you will need to start, let me know and email at [email protected]. Good thing is everything you are trying to reload for is easy besides the 22-250.

Old 03-02-2004, 01:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with bigcountry, start with a single stage press and learn the basics. I like RCBS products because i've always had great service with them and the Rockchucker press is hard to beat and will last a lifetime. One of the RCBS starter kits would be a good choice but you'll still need with shellholders, dies, etc. I also use RCBS dies and they work fine. Get yourself several good reloading manuals and read, read, read. It would also be very beneficial if you know someone who reloads that could give you some help getting started. Good luck with your new hobby and don't forget those safety glasses.
Old 03-02-2004, 02:07 PM
Dominant Buck

I started out with the lee starter kit. It came with a single stage press, powder thrower, scales, etc. and all the literature you would need. Pretty cheap as far kits go. You will need to get everthing for the different calibers you mentioned, but it was a good start. You use to be able to order the Lee kit from the internet.
Old 03-02-2004, 02:11 PM

I have both single stage and progressive presses, RCBS rockchucker, Dillon 550b, Lee 5stage progressive. First of all it's how much money you want to spend on a new hobby that should dictate which type of press you want to get. Now if money was not a problem I would go with the Dillon 550b, this press could be used as a single stage press if you should want it. Now if money does enter into the formula RCBS rockchucker is my choice of single stage presses. I do like RCBS products because they back up their items with a solid warrenty. When it comes to dies RCBS and Redding make quality dies that are backed up by the company. As you go from the early stages of reloading you will find that there are some things that will not only make the job easier to do, but also much safer. So by the time it's all said and done you will find that you will have a tidy little sum invested. Is it worth it, I think it is because of the satisfaction that you made the bullet vs. buying it, and if you end up shooting quite a bit you definitely will save some money.
Polack
Old 03-02-2004, 02:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I go along with the others, start with a single stage press.RCBS Rock Chucker is a press that will do anything you need. You can even swage bullets with it. RCBS has a excellent warranty.They have a Supreme Master Reloading kit that will get you started on the right track.Take your time and double check yourself. Follow the reloading manuals instructions.Reloading is easy and very rewarding.Don't reload when you're tired. Give it your full attention.Use ONLY the components listed,Don't mix them.
Ruger Redhawk
Old 03-02-2004, 02:36 PM

I think the starter kits are a good way to get into it. I agree, buy a good press it is worth it. It is very benifical to have someone close that has experience and read as much as you can. It drive my wife nuts that everytime she turn around I have one of my reloading manuals open. My suggetion would be to start with one caliber (30-30?) and reload just that caliber until you feel confident to move to the next one.
Old 03-02-2004, 04:43 PM

Thanks for the quick replies fellas! I will print these out and head to the store this weekend, and if I have any other questions I will let you know. Again, thanks alot.

Mac
Old 03-07-2004, 09:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

Bigbore - With the cartridges your going to be reloading for, except the 22-250 and possibly the 30-30 you won't need one, but a case trimmer should be on your purchase list in the future. (It would make a nice Christmas present).
A set of dial calipers come in handy too for measuring case length and OAL.
Also, when you start, remember, that your 45-70, 44, 450, 45 - all the cartridges being shot from a revolver or tube magazine rifle need to be crimped. Follow the instructions with the dies for this.
While we are on the subject of dies. For these straight walled cases, but the carbide dies. They are a little more expensive but eliminate the need for case lube. For the 30-30 and 22-250, you need to lube the cases. Hornady "One Shot" is a great lube. It is a spray on lube that will not contaminate powder or primers.
Good luck on your reloading adventure and post your questions in the reloading forum. There are plenty of guys here ready to help.
Old 03-07-2004, 10:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

I say spend your money well now, or spend twice later. I just got started in handloading (in fact I just finished loading my 200th 22-250 round a couple minutes ago), and I decided to go with the RCBS Rockchucker Supreme Master kit. It has a number of essentials in one box. The RC-IV press is nothing short of outstanding. Also included is a good beam scale, a lifesaving hand priming tool (I tried to use the presses built in priming system just to see what it was like, and after 5 rounds I was very glad to have the hand priming tool), funnel, deburring/camfering tool, lube pad, etc... The only thing that comes with the Sup. Master kit that I didn't care for was the plastic loading block. It has 80 holes, but only 40 fit the 22-250 and 45acp rim size, which sucks since I like to load in batches of 50 rounds. It also sucks because if you get a single grain of powder or media into the block you end up with a case that has the leans. Out of frustration I went down to my folks house and spent some quality time with a couple peices of scrap walnut lumber and my dad's drill press. I made two 50 round blocks, one for 45acp and one for 22-250, both drilled with a forstner bit to make flat bottomed holes (the 45ACP has shallower holes than the 22-250 block, for obvoius reasons). Then, to solve the leans problem I also used a 1/4" drill bit to drill a hole the rest of the way through each hole to provide debris a way to fall through the block so the cases stand straight. Thes holes also provide the added benefit of allowing me to visually double check that I primed all the cases without removing each one from the block.

I also have spent a lot of additional money on "non-essential" tools, either to simplify my life or to improve accuracy.

Of the things that don't come in the kit I'd say some other must get tools include a vibratory case cleaner, because sizing and loading clean polished brass is easier than dirty brass. Besides that, I personally take pride in the fact that my handloads look better than factory loads.

I'd also get a pair of primer pocket brushes to clean the crud out of the primer pockets.

And a case trimmer is a good addition to your collection. I found that factory (Winchester W-W) brass in 22-250 is pretty inconsistant in length. With a trimmer you can trim all the cases to a uniform length right from the start, which not only (might) improve accuracy, but also allows you to monitor how much your cases are growing after each firing and resizing.

And probably the most essential tool to get is a caliper (dial or digital doesn't matter, whichever you prefer. Digital is easier.) Being able to measure the dimensions of cases and rounds both before and especially after loading is important.

Then, of course you can't forget the absolutely critical items, those obviously being the dies. I have RCBS dies for my .45ACP that make good ammo. I splurged and bought Redding Deluxe 3-die set for my 22-250, which is actually a good deal because you get both a FL and neck sizer as well as the seater die. The Redding dies are of outstanding quality and make very consistant rounds for my rifle. I really want to get a Redding Competition seater die, but it's not essential. I think that any subsequent CF rifle caliber I get I'll also buy Redding dies for it. I have been very impressed with them. I also have a set of Lee .44Mag dies that I don't use that just look and feel cheap. They look like they're made of aluminum instead of steel. If I should ever get a .44Mag pistol I'd still get RCBS dies for it and not use the Lee dies.

Mike