Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Want to start reloading >

Want to start reloading

Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Want to start reloading

Old 11-16-2008, 06:54 PM
Spike

Default Want to start reloading

What are the basics of knowledge and tools required to hand load? At what point is it cheaper to hand load vs. buying ammunition?
Old 11-16-2008, 11:52 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Want to start reloading

That's an awfull big question! Costs varry from cartidge to cartidge, type of bullets, brass, powder, primers. Pick your calibers then price what the different components cost and compair to what ammo costs. Find a good reloading manual, like Speer, Hornady, etc or a book dedicated to reloading (might also do a google search on the Web for cartidge reloading), there is just too much to explain right here.

It's not always cheaper. Tools very quite a lot in price and quality. With the tools, press, scale, dies, you pretty much get what you pay for, the cheaper stuff will work just fine, but it won't last as long as the costlier goods. A good book or manual will expain about what tools to get and how to use them.

I started with an RCBS Rockchucker press, RCBS dies and scale. Since then I've added many extra gadjets but Istill have and use the Rockchucker press and dies, that was over 30 years ago.
Old 11-17-2008, 06:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Go to the very top of the reloading forum, and click on the topic ..."New to reloading? Read this first". It will give you a good idea what is needed to get started. Cost?? It's all relative to how much you shoot, or want to shoot. The initial investment may not be worth it if you only shoot a box or so of ammo a year. But the really great part about reloading is that you can tailor-make ammunition for your own particular gun that most often will shoot much better than the factory stuff. That's when you really smile. That's when cost almost becomes a moot point.... You just can't buy ammo that shoots that good in your gun anywhere. It's called self-satisfaction...........
Old 11-17-2008, 11:11 AM

RCBS sells a reloading kit that has all the basic tools you need to get started for a very reasonable price. It has a press, scale, manual, etc. All you need is a die set, brass, powder, primers & bullets. I think it is one of the best values on the market.

Read the manual and follow it to the letter. Take your time and you will be turning out quality ammo in no time.

I personally like reloading because it is relaxing quiet time for me.

Enjoy.
Old 11-17-2008, 03:22 PM
Spike

Im not too worried about the cost personally....I just have to justify it to the wife.
Old 11-17-2008, 04:22 PM

ORIGINAL: Mountaineer93

RCBS sells a reloading kit that has all the basic tools you need to get started for a very reasonable price. It has a press, scale, manual, etc. All you need is a die set, brass, powder, primers & bullets. I think it is one of the best values on the market.

Enjoy.
If I had to start out reloading all over again buying this kit would have ended up saving me alot of money so I would look into this for sure.

Also it always helps to have a friend that reloads help you get started.
Old 11-17-2008, 08:35 PM
Typical Buck

Tell the wife it is therapy for you.
Old 11-18-2008, 07:12 AM
Fork Horn

IF you do a lot of shooting then its worth it...especially if you have multiple guns you shoot often...take this in to a thought...if you had say a 300 Win short mag...how much is a box of good shells?...$40-$50...for 20 now at that same cost you could load them...as long as you had the main tools that is...for about 1/3 if even that...and for the same price have probably triple that ammount of rounds....now take in account that same thing if you have 6-8 other guns that you shoot....my 35 Rem i have costs me $25 a box for cheap Rem Cor Loc shells...if i load them its about $6 for 20...give or take...it adds up fast if you do a lot of shooting...plus you can make a lot better shell than you can buy
Old 11-18-2008, 02:11 PM
Typical Buck

I also have been thinking about taking up handloading. I found the RCBS RC supreme master kit on Cabela's website: http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0018937&type=pod&cmCat=cat2072 8_feat

I assume this is the kit mountaineer93 was talking about. I just bought an aftermarket trigger for my Ruger .270 this year and it vastly improved the accuracy. Next I believe reloading will help me get to the next level as well as become a fun little hobby.
Old 11-19-2008, 02:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have never set down and figured up what it cost me to load a box of shells, hmmmm probably dont want to either. But I know its not as much as what a box of shellswill cost you. The reason that I started loading my own 22 years ago was that you couldnt buy a premiumloaded shell at that time. Rem core-loks or Win power points was about all that one could buyand they are fine bullets, but i wanted something different. Now just about all brands carry premium bullets. Back then it wasnt to expensive to get set up in reloading either, if my memory is correct I spent less than 350 bucks for an all RCBS outfit. Also consider this when you reload you will shoot more, not that its a bad thing we all need to shoot more, but the more you shoot the more it costs. Its just something that you will have to decide if its worth it or not. Personally I enjoy reloading my own shells and using them hunting, its a good feeling to me knowing that i shot something with a shell that I made.

Quick Reply: Want to start reloading

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.