Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 .44 Mag, Trailboss and 240 LSWC (CBA seat deapth) >

.44 Mag, Trailboss and 240 LSWC (CBA seat deapth)

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

.44 Mag, Trailboss and 240 LSWC (CBA seat deapth)

Old 02-19-2008, 08:23 PM

Default .44 Mag, Trailboss and 240 LSWC (CBA seat deapth)

I have loaded H110 and Enforcerin .44 Mag for a few years, but this is my first time loading up some cowboy action plinkers. Trail boss metered very well through the RCBS powder measure (charges at times were +/- .1 grain...I am starting with 6.4 grains, a few came out at 6.5 or 6.3, this could be due to variation of handling crank).

My question is whyare some cowboy action loads seated so deep in the case? It seems ironic that a lite load (that loaded too light could get stuck in the barrel) would be seated so deep in the case. Are the bullets seated deeper to simulate a .44 special load or is it because of the smaller amount of powder used will fill more of the space or is there another explanation?

I am asking because it seems funny that just the tip of the 240 grain LSWC would be sticking out of the case, but Hodgdon lists COL at 1.5 for the load with Trail Boss.

Also, I have read aboutseating the bullet upside down for betterresults in subsonic loads...does anyone on this forum do that?Are there any concerns that I should be aware of if I am considering trying this?

Thanks for your insight,

J
Old 02-20-2008, 12:51 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: .44 Mag, Trailboss and 240 LSWC (CBA seat deapth)

Seating the bullet deeper in the case decreases the volume inside the case. The decrease in volume helps get the small charge burning, as the pressure and therefore temperature builds more quickly.

The bullets getting stuck in the barrel probably happen due to incomplete powder burn.
Old 02-26-2008, 04:38 PM
Fork Horn

I have an 88 yoa grandfather, that has a 44 redhawk and he wanted some light loads. I picked up 100, 200 grn copper plated flat-points. I figure the H110 I have is too much for light loads. Can anyone recommend a charge or would 6.0 to 6.5 of Trail Boss work and be easy enough for an 88 yoa. I have winchester magnum primers and mixed brass. Thanks ahead. I'm very new to reloading and limited to the Lee powder cups.
Old 02-26-2008, 06:20 PM

ruffhunter,
Trail Boss loads listed on the IMR/Hodgdon website list loads for Hardcast bullets only. Copper plated 200 gr bullets will react different than 200 gr castbulletsloadedwith 6.1 to 7.7 grains of Trail Boss.
Old 02-27-2008, 04:37 AM

I saw a good 41 Magnum wrecked by a reduced charge of H-110 and have never used that powder for anything since but loading M-1 Carbine. Maybe others have been up and down the scale with this powder but it's one that scares me to death in anything but almost case full amounts.

If anyone wants reduced loads there are plenty of pistol powders that are made for just this.
Old 02-28-2008, 08:25 PM

Pavomesa,
I am glad you listed what might happen when using the wrong powder for a specific purpose in case some one misread the post, but my intent was not to use H110 for cowboy action loads. MaybeI was misleading with the first sentence as I was providing my previous handloading experience of stiff hunting loads when I listed H110 and Enforcer. When Imentioned cowboy action loads, I was describing the new direction I was going to take inhandloading and thusthe reason I mentionedmy choiceof Trail Boss.As you stated, there are specific powders to use depending on the purpose foreach caliber.
Old 02-28-2008, 08:43 PM

I haven't had time to shoot more than a few rounds of .44 mag loaded with 6.4 and 6.8 grains of Trail Boss and a 240 gr hardcast through my 7 1/2" SRH, but the 4 shots I did have time to take (right at dusk at my inlaws farm) were playfully light. I shot them one handed with my left hand and there was just a little muzzle flip (I've read a little bit about "SEE" with subsonic load development, but I shouldn't be worried since the load is right off the IMR load data website, but any time I try a new load I am concerned about the first few shots). I checked the barrel each time to make sure the bullet cleared. The cases had a little more black on them, suggesting that these loads aren't expanding and sealing the casesand things aregoing toget dirty. I am looking forward to shooting at25,50 and 100 yard targetsto see where POA and POI are compared to the factory and max handloads. I don't have a chrony, so I won'tbe able toreport the actual velocity.

I still haven't shot the few rounds in which I loaded the bullets backwards. I read that some handloaders found better accuracy with the subsonic 240 grain harcast loads by seating the bullets upside down. But I don't want to try it until I've heard more about it being done safely.

J