HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - .44 Mag, Trailboss and 240 LSWC (CBA seat deapth)
Old 02-19-2008, 08:23 PM
johnshiredman

Default .44 Mag, Trailboss and 240 LSWC (CBA seat deapth)

I have loaded H110 and Enforcerin .44 Mag for a few years, but this is my first time loading up some cowboy action plinkers. Trail boss metered very well through the RCBS powder measure (charges at times were +/- .1 grain...I am starting with 6.4 grains, a few came out at 6.5 or 6.3, this could be due to variation of handling crank).

My question is whyare some cowboy action loads seated so deep in the case? It seems ironic that a lite load (that loaded too light could get stuck in the barrel) would be seated so deep in the case. Are the bullets seated deeper to simulate a .44 special load or is it because of the smaller amount of powder used will fill more of the space or is there another explanation?

I am asking because it seems funny that just the tip of the 240 grain LSWC would be sticking out of the case, but Hodgdon lists COL at 1.5 for the load with Trail Boss.

Also, I have read aboutseating the bullet upside down for betterresults in subsonic loads...does anyone on this forum do that?Are there any concerns that I should be aware of if I am considering trying this?

Thanks for your insight,

J