HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - .44 Mag, Trailboss and 240 LSWC (CBA seat deapth)
Old 02-28-2008, 08:43 PM
johnshiredman

Default RE: .44 Mag, Trailboss and 240 LSWC (CBA seat deapth)

I haven't had time to shoot more than a few rounds of .44 mag loaded with 6.4 and 6.8 grains of Trail Boss and a 240 gr hardcast through my 7 1/2" SRH, but the 4 shots I did have time to take (right at dusk at my inlaws farm) were playfully light. I shot them one handed with my left hand and there was just a little muzzle flip (I've read a little bit about "SEE" with subsonic load development, but I shouldn't be worried since the load is right off the IMR load data website, but any time I try a new load I am concerned about the first few shots). I checked the barrel each time to make sure the bullet cleared. The cases had a little more black on them, suggesting that these loads aren't expanding and sealing the casesand things aregoing toget dirty. I am looking forward to shooting at25,50 and 100 yard targetsto see where POA and POI are compared to the factory and max handloads. I don't have a chrony, so I won'tbe able toreport the actual velocity.

I still haven't shot the few rounds in which I loaded the bullets backwards. I read that some handloaders found better accuracy with the subsonic 240 grain harcast loads by seating the bullets upside down. But I don't want to try it until I've heard more about it being done safely.

J