Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

necking down

Old 02-28-2008, 08:47 PM
RWK
Nontypical Buck

Default necking down

Can any give me a step by step on how to neck down say 25-06 to a 243-6mmb06 I'm about as dump as a stump when it comes to this. Thanks Rich
Old 02-28-2008, 09:00 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: necking down

Well, use some real good lube and lube up your neck very good. Setup your FL sizer 243-06 (never heard of that wildcat, way overbore). Anyway, raise your ram, and you just necked down to a 243. Thats it. If it was 270brass, I would suggest going down to 25-06 first.

Old 02-29-2008, 09:04 AM

I had a friend who used to have such a rifle and I can't recall if he made his cases from 270 or 30/06 itself. But which ever he used, it wasn't a big deal. So I don't think you'll have any trouble taking a 25/06 down to this cartridge.

I agree you want to lube your cases good before sizing down but be careful about really slopping it on the necks. Too much grease there and you'll get bad grease dents on the shoulder. Frankly, I use nothing but the spray on lube these days. Excellent lube and no worries about such things as grease dents etc. Just spray and size. Oh, be sure to get a little lube INSIDE the case mouth.

There shouldn't be a problem with this. You'll be amazed just how maleable brass is and what sizes and shapes a simple stroke of your press can do with it.

PS - Use a strong press...something like the RockChucker. It takes a little power to turn one case into something else. But just lube up a case and try one. Nothing to it.
Old 02-29-2008, 11:26 AM
Typical Buck

I have a 6mm-06 wildcat. I have a set of redding custom dies that I use. I generally trim 270 brass and resize it.

Pavomesa is correct, it is easy to end up with grease dents, but they fireform out.

My 6mm-06 is built on a rem 721 action, montana 28" barrel, timney trigger, boyds jrs stock, leupold bases and rings, and a burris ffII 4.5-14x44 scope.
Old 02-29-2008, 07:30 PM

ORIGINAL: Ridge Runner

ok, start with your die up high, lube the case well start resizing, watching the progress as the neck gets smaller farther and farther down, when you get close to the neck/shoulder angle junction, start trying it in the gun, when you can feel just the slightest resistance as you push the bolt handle down, then screw the die down 1/8 turn and lock it down, your die is set for your chamber and you get the best possible case life.
Now neck your remaining cases down.
RR
This strategy should work great.